Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Chamfer @ top of a pocket

ZEK

45 deg chamfers we use 90 deg chamfer mills set comp at say rad .01 from tool tip to avoid the sharp tool tip and program z to the same .01 from tip plus desired chamfer .05 chamfer Z-.06

Or use the 2D chamfer option in Contour type drop down of your Tool path Parameter page

When selecting your contour geometry, click C-Plane radio button and then select the contour that is the same as the pocket wall. This is a little hard to explain. You basically want to select the contour like the chamfer was not in the model.

See photo, one of the two contours shown.

1-4.jpg

Great Thank You. Now as far as machining the pockets should I do a rough contour for both of them in one operation and then a finish contour for both? Or should I finish the walls with contour and use a different op. to do the floor?

I do 2D chamfers like Dave is suggesting. Only difference is I put the geometry on it's own level, project it to a height equal to the top edge of my chamfer, then select zero incremental for my depth. Like he says you are programming it like the chamfer wasn't there. Also make sure your tool is defined correctly.

As long as you select C-Plane, the contour geometry can be at any depth and then you don't need to project any geometry. I do this often when my top geometry is not complete but a lower z-value has full geometry. Example, say you want to profile a square but the top has a slot thru it. I just pick the bottom contour and it's all good.

Dave,

I don't like extra geometry either. I always import solids with no edge curves then create what I need on seperate levels and name them. In this case do I really need to do it...no but is it easy to see what I did two years from now...yes. It's also easy for someone else to open my file and see what I did. So I guess I'm in between. I create only enough geometry to get the job done and stay organized. In general the less geometry created the better.

quote:

I chose the 2d chamfer option with a .5 chamfer tool but it seems to be to far away from the edge and it doesn't cut any material when the program runs.

I'm guessing its your tool geometry. righy click on your tool in your operating manager and make sure your tool setup matches your actual tool.

I would get rid of those lead in/out and do just a perpendicular entry with a .1 over lap. I thought you would have got this real quick. What I do if using a chamfer profile from the top like you are is use .0001 chamfer then just make my offset enough to make sure I am where I want on my tool and done.

Now if is a chamfer you need and do not have the chain to drive it I would do it different. As with both make sure your tool is defined correctly. If you have a .125 flat on the bottom make sure your tool matches. Now use the profile chain call out the amount of chamfer and then the correct offset to make sure you have the engagement you want and done. Very simple chamfering things with Mastercam IMHO.

HTH