Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Changing the Direction of lead in / Lead out

Toxsol

Have been asked this by the boss and need to supply an answer. Is it possible to change the way that the lead in and lead out act on a contour path other than doing a point toolpath. What I mean is this, standard contour external path climb milling, tangent entry and exit at the corner using 50% of tool width, entry is CCW is there a way to make it CW so it enters from the other way.

Hope this makes sense, and thanks for the replies.

I wanted the excact same thing yesterday.

I wanted to face a part with a arc entry but it was the wrong direction for what I wanted to achieve.

entryarcs.jpg

I had to draw geom and use cutter comp off.

I agree a funtion to use CW or CCW arc entries would be great.

[ 03-29-2010, 07:28 PM: Message edited by: DavidB@DMG/Mori Seiki ]

quote:

On a simple 2D contour it would be very nice to be able to control the lead in more.

Personally, I find MC’s lead in / lead out feature to be awesome. The flexibility to extend or shorten a contour plus all the other options allows me to do a lot of stuff instead of creating geometry. I use this feature all the time to chamfer up to walls / bosses and get as close as possible, in many cases eliminating or great reducing hand deburr work.

I feel this is a great feature in MC.

Dave lelonek

Try doing what I have pictured above.

A simple contour with a "CW" entry arc and climb milling. This cutting method increases tool life dramaticly over a CCW entry or a straigh entry move.

It's very benifitial when machining Ti, S.S and supper alloys.

quote:

What if we asked if the lead in angle on in the sweep box excepted negative numbers to give direction?

This is the first thing I tried makes perfect sence to me cheers.gif

quote:

A simple contour with a "CW" entry arc and climb milling.

Dave, apparently I don't fully understand what you are trying to do.

If you are profiling a part and you are climb milling, then I don't understand why you would want a CW entry - it does not make sense.

I supose if you had a partial profile, maybe then it would be fine.

On a face tool path, as you describe, I understand it but one could argue if you would get better tool life.

I supose full control would be great in many area's of the software.