Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

engraving

bilbo

Is there a way to engrave a font using both sides of the letter to drive the ball tool so that the depth varies based on the width of the geometry?

I do not like the available single line fonts. And I do not like the double lines required using ttf's.

No you will have to make up your own custom chains for each latter you want. Then I would save these as operation group for each letter with geometry. Then import them into files where you want engraving with your very special method that could be scaled based off of things you want to change. You might could use pencil with the chains of the letters as boundaries to a flat surface. My thinking here is Mastercam will try fitting the tool down as far as it will go for the varying depth the boundary of the letter would allow and that might close to what you are trying to accomplish.

HTH

Famous last words of every programmer I every met that developed their own CAM software. Can you draw what you are after as a solid? If so you made all you need to make the letters.

Also remember 0-9 covers all the numbers every used. A-Z covers all the letters ever used. Make them .25 tall then you can just make a ratio from there and based of the ratio you would then just use different size ball endmills to achieve the same results as your letter size changed. A little up front work, but once figured out and done would be easy to do from that point forward.

Question in other CAM systems you have programmed with they allowed this??

I could cut it like a pocket but that opens up another can for me.

I am engraving .125 high characters in titanium on a 4th axis on a round part. Cutting the "pocket" would require a very small EM but I might be able to work with that. The problem then would be to engrave on Y0. Right now I am engraving on A0 with X, Y, & Z moving.

I need help engraving with Y and Z not moving, only X & A moving. How can I achieve that?

Where do I turn the wrapping on?

I seem to recall trying this before and getting the same result.

When I open the parameter window and select rotary axis, I select rotary axis positioning, then rotate about the x axis. When I post it, I only get X and Y moves when I should be getting X and A moves.

quote:

Respectfully,

You might want to thank Ron and the others for the help.

Mate, you'll be shocked to know how many people thank for help given here. Just read the questions and answers in the forum. "Thank you" is not in everybody's dictionary, unfortunately.

John.

Thanks for your help guys. But I am not satisfied with this answer. I do not like the look of a square bottom. I want the full radius single pass look to follow a true type font. If mastercam cannot do this, do you know of any other systems out there that can?