Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Please be patient......

SDK

1st off, I have been on this sit for a while now, and have learned quite abit, this site is extremely helpful. I have recently started a new job, and although I have not had any problems 2D programming, I am starting to work with IGES files. My question is, how do I? I have imported the file, but I cannot do anything with it????

First, an IGES file can contain only surfaces and wireframe geometry. It sounds like you have imported a model that only has surfaces.

You will typically need a combination of 2D and 3D toolpaths to machine something like this.

It sounds like you need some wireframe geometry so you can measure and get references on the model.

You can use Create > Curves > One Edge or Create > Curves > All edges to create wireframe on the surfaces.

Be aware that if you use the "All edges" command you may end up with overlapping chains.

I would recommend you create the wireframe in a different color and on a separate level.

Once you have positioned your model for machining and setup stock, then you can use a 3D toolpath to rough it out.

Is your stock material a block? If so, create a rectangle above your part, that has the same dimensions as your stock. You can use this rectangle as a Tool Containment Boundary. This is a necessary step for most of the 3D roughing toolpaths.

Then you can use Toolpaths > Surface Rough > Pocket to rough the model.

When you start the toolpath it will ask you to select surfaces. Select them and press "End Selection". Then you will get a dialog box that pops up. Click the select (arrow) button under 'Containment Boundary'. Then pick your rectangle.

Now you will get a dialog box that pops up for your toolpath parameters. Pick a Tool or create a new one. Then enter your speeds/feeds.

At this point you need to start filling out your depth and stepover parameters. We need more info to help you...