Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

no help at work with 3d job

Jeff the haas_guy

Reko,Thanks for the info. They want me to make this from a solid piece. Its not going to be turned first.

Bernie, Thanks.

I have Mastercam X MR2

I could open that SW drawing. Can you tell me why I can't open the SW drawings that are currently be drawn in our CAD dept?

I have 4 pieces and will try to machine from your drawing. I will post the finished part if I can ever make it.

Any idea how I might start?

Thanks again.

[ 04-29-2010, 06:02 AM: Message edited by: Jeff the haas_guy ]

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"I could open that SW drawing. Can you tell me why I can't open the SW drawings that are currently be drawn in our CAD dept?"

If MC won't open the sldprt, have the CAD dept save it as a Parasolid x_b, stp, or IGES, then open it.

I don't have much faith in that CAD dept if they couldn't model that in the first place with SW and save it in a universal format. Maybe their just being DIC#$ ?

quote:

Can you tell me why I can't open the SW drawings that are currently be drawn in our CAD dept?

Most likely becasue the version of Mastercam you are opening is too old to open the newer version od SW part files and drawings

I don't have much faith in that CAD dept if they couldn't model that in the first place with SW and save it in a universal format. Maybe their just being DIC#$ ?

That is EXACTLY the problem. We ask them to convert their solidworks to DXF and you may as well be pulling teeth. That is where the problem started. Can I convert to older version myself or do I need sloidworks to do this?

You can open in a newer version of Mastercam and save back but I am guessing you don't have a newer version.

If they won't save as a different format and you can get them to update your Mastercam, your only option is to ask someone outside to do it for you.

quote:

We ask them to convert their solidworks to DXF and you may as well be pulling teeth. That is where the problem started.

its probably because the drawings are not correct,we have a customer that outputs dwg's from solids and then just changes dims. instead of the part.

quote:

Go over their heads to their boss and tell him that they are holding back production by not converting it which takes 3 seconds.

They told us"We don't have enough space on the network to copy every SW file to DXF". I know this is crap.

Also if I go over there heads, I may lose my job. I lost a good job I had for 15 years because of going over my supervisor head and I want to keep this job till I retire, which is between 5 and 10 years. I am not taking this lightly, but I know when to stop pushing just to get my way. It's not worth it.

quote:

its probably because the drawings are not correct,we have a customer that outputs dwg's from solids and then just changes dims. instead of the part.

I have also run into drawings that were wrong when they only changed the dimensions and not the drawing.

So, that is my problem. Which is why i'm here. You guys help more than the guys at work.

Thanks guys.

Jeff

Parasolid output is version 16 for MC version X. Like Jeff said, 3 seconds. In fact I think saving as a Parasolid is actually faster than saving as a sldprt.

"its probably because the drawings are not correct,we have a customer that outputs dwg's from solids and then just changes dims. instead of the part."

Happens all the time, yesterday for me as a matter of fact. Depending on the complexity of the model, it can really suck trying to fix it, and lets not forget about the time wasted analyzing the model to the print. This one had to be remade from scratch.

quote:

I have also run into drawings that were wrong when they only changed the dimensions and not the drawing.

I feel your pain. That used to be a problem here but haven't had one for a few years now. :knock on wood: The AutoCad files I used to get where the worst.

A lot of the engineers and some of the designers thought a model was just something to draw the lines on the page so the could dimension. It took upper management making it policy and holding people accountable to finally change the culture. It took awhile, but we finally got everyone on board.

quote:

I know when to stop pushing just to get my way. It's not worth it.

It's not about "getting your way". It's about improving the way your company does business. Don't tell them it needs to change for your sake. SHOW them they need to change for their own sake. I am dealing with something similar trying to update our tooling (some of which is left over from WWII). No one would listen when I was just telling them how it would be good. But when I should them a 50k savings, better tool, and shorter cycle time, and longer tool life on just ONE tool. All of a sudden, people are starting to listen and getting the ball rolling.

quote:

You can either bootcamp (dual boot) or even use virtual machines (what I use). What model mac do you have?

Make sure you use bootcamp and not VMware. As you loose the control and full use of the graphics card.

I did a bunch of tests for this with MC and Solidworks.

If you go with bootcamp you will like. I do suggest a regular mouse instead of the Mac one for MC.

I have used Fusion in the past to run Windows. It worked well, then I took it off cause I didn't use windows enough to warrant the space used on the hard drive.

I have become more flexible in my middle age to work with idiots rather than try to change them. "You can't teach an old dog" really does apply here.

Jeff,

Tell them since you can't open the files "as is" because your version of Mastercam is too old and they can't or won't save them out for you in a different format that you "can" open.

That you have found someone to convert them into a usable format for $50 per file.

wink.gif

It sounds like upper Management doesn't have a clue there. I've been exactly where your at now. I learned MC on my own, forum help included here, and have moved far ahead of everybody in the shop. For me, It's time to move on to another shop as these people don't really understand what I do here or support my efforts.

To all the coworkers that keep their knowledge to themselves and take the manuals home, never to be seen again, I say F-em.

In your free time, start leaning to draw and make solids. Breaks, lunch, before and after work if you can. It won't take long before you can start making useful parts and those around you will see whats taking place here. Some of those pinheads will catch on and straighten up for fear of losing their jobs, others will want to compete, and some will still not give a rats A$$. Either way it would be a win win for you as you can take that experience with you to another shop.

Or more likely its because you can't save a 3D part in solidworks as a DXF or DWG, solidworks only uses those for 2D prints.

Ask them for it as a parasolid (*.x_t) or you can e-mail me the file and I'll convert it for you if you like. They will have to save it as an older parasolid version which just requires them to click the options button and use the drag down menu when saving the file.