Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

video card recomend?

harley512

I run (2) GeForce 8800GTS's at home

The 8600 is a "cheap" card, real cheap

a GeForce can work, in many cases you need a decent one at least.

Now, if you want to avoid many issues, even with the Geforce cards, buy the Nvidia Quadro FX.

an FX580 can be had for under %200

quote:

If you have dual slots and a little <%200 get on tigerdirect and look at the firegl V7700. that is a mean card, I have a V7200 that screams in comparison to my quadrofx 4500.

Why do you say dual slots? Looks to me as though it is a single PCI Express slot.

As far as ATI, long ago they were great then they sucked, and today...maybe good again?? Never say never. wink.gif

Are you running this card with Mcam on win 7 by chance? Any issues with curser, redraws, verify, ect...the usual non compatible issues? Also, can you see if graphics acceleration is greyed out in advanced properties in win 7 with the drivers you have...pretty please.

I picked up a Quadro FX-1800 last month from Amazon for $395..runs great in Win 7 x64..

my old FX3450 wasn't liking Win7 too much..

no real issues.. just poor performance.

I wanted to buy a Quadro FX-3800, but $850

was too rich for me ..

Im running xp pro so I wouldn't know about capatability issues on win7. As far as the V7200 the only problem that I had was the driver from ati was no good. That was an easy fix as dell had a better driver. After that.. smooth sailing. Honestly it is a screamin card. I wrote about it in another thread. Hands down in speed and performance the ATI 7200 has my quadro fx 4500 beat. Now on the other side of the spectrum graphics quality... Nvidia quadro looks amazing. but in comparison to a gaming card.. quadro fx or firegl would be a major upgrade. Its all about what you care about. Me I prefer performance, and being able to see my files, so I don't skimp on graphics. also I have another computer a that had the nvidia 8600gts, I switched that out with a quadrofx 3450/4000 sdi, when I did that I stepped into a different realm of clarity and would never run a gaming card for CAD ever again.

It is hard to explain, but this is what I remember my IT buddy telling me when we switched the 8600gts for the quadro fx 3450/4000... I asked "so what is the difference between a gaming card and a workstation card?" His reply; "it is how the card interprets the data. Gaming cards see objects as triangles, where as Cad cards see objects as shapes and lines." I don't know if he was just trying to dumb it down for me or what. Doing some googling however all I can find that is different is drivers, plus cad cards are underclocked a little for stability... That said, I don't really know what the actual difference is between the two, but what I do know is that it was way better running the quadro. I think it can be summed up in an analogy; you wouldn't race a toyota rock crawler in the indy500. Also I think it is what you are used to as well. If you only know what mastercam looks like through a gaming card and not through a high end graphics card, you don't know what you are missing. And you don't miss it because you haven't upgraded. kind of like before I got my hd 24" monitor I had a 19" analog lcd. I did just fine on the 19" but as soon as I plugged in the 24" I was hooked, amazed, and will never go back. There is a reason cad cards cost alot, because they are built for cad, not games, likewise gaming cards are built for games not cad, however in my google research I found that there are softgl drivers that make nvidia gaming cards technically quadro cards?... Anyone know anything about this?

Before getting my new system w/ the FX-1800, I was using a very lame-on board graphics.

Solidworks sucked, MC seemed OK.

When I got the new PC IMO, MC looks no better but Solidworks WOW! Major improvement in rotating the model around.

IMO, the graphics in MC are sub-standard.