Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Wire EDM machine

cqualls

I've been asked to get some qoutes on wire edm machines.

Most parts we work on would be no bigger than about a 12" x 12" x 2", most of the time it would be much smaller.

Only wire machine I've ever used was a Mitsubishi and didn't run it very much but it wasn't very user friendly.

Thanks

cqualls, you will get multiple answers here on wire edm's.i like the fanucs while others like agies,makino's,charmilles,sodicks.shop for price compared to what you will use it for.they all have good machines some with more bells and whistles than the others .no need to pay for things you wont or dont use.i would go and see as many as i could in person and get some visual input. just my .02cents

i will tell you i have 3 fanucs and 2 of them are 9 yrs old and are just as good today as when new and had very very little problems.

I expected to get several. I've heard good things about the Agies myself but know very little about Wire edm.

One thing I failed to mention is accuracy (5 micron tolerance on a lot of our work) and finish would be very important on anything we buy but I'm not sure how accurate you can get with a wire edm machine, I'm just starting to look at them.

quote:

but I'm not sure how accurate you can get with a wire edm machine,

most are damn near nut. agie actually makes some jsut for very tight tolerence work.any that i mentioned are good for at least .0001/side

I program setup and run 2 Mitsubishi machines. The oldest of the 2 is a FX10K which we bought new in 1998. Its been a good machine .We run it constantly on 2 shifts. We never had any problems with accuracy. We have only had 1 exspensive breakdown. The auto feed wire can be a little temperamental, but with a little experience with it, its pretty easy to work with.

Our 2nd machine is a FA10P. Its a new version of the older one. It has fine finishing on which is a high accuracy and super fine surface finish.

The best thing I can say about these machines is Mits. customer support. They always call back and they try to talk you through problems.

my vote also for fanuc robocut we have two and are very happy with them, second choice makino. both are very little maintenance. thumbs down on the charmilles robofil 240cc, maintenance nightmare. holds size good but cumbersome to set up compared to the fanuc.