Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

autosave not working in X3...learned the hard way

Sbarner

Greetings,

I just stumbled across the problem of Autosave not working the hard way. Mastercam crashed. I thought "Oh no problem...I've got autosave going...". Nope. I was wrong. It hasn't saved anything. I've verified that all the settings are correct, and Autosave is activated. I guess I haven't noticed until now that it wasn't active. Could this be a compatibility thing as X3 isn't supported for Windows 7? I'd love any ideas on how to get this going again.

Yes I'm sure everything is set correctly and it's activated. This didn't seem to be a problem when I ran XP. Another guy in my shop also has X3 MU1 with Windows 7 64 bit, and Autosave isn't working for him either.

One thing I did notice is that if I have "Prompt before saving file" checked, then Autosave comes up at the appropriate interval. If I don't have that checked, it seems that it doesn't work at all.

I hit the Save button before changing parameters in a toolpath that has already been established and requires substantial calc times. If I don't like the results of the parameter change, it can often be faster to just reload the program instead of waiting to regen the toolpath.

Any operation or geometry creation that requires substantial effort also gets a save.

Guest SAIPEM

quote:

Yes I'm sure everything is set correctly and it's activated. This didn't seem to be a problem when I ran XP. Another guy in my shop also has X3 MU1 with Windows 7 64 bit, and Autosave isn't working for him either.

One thing I did notice is that if I have "Prompt before saving file" checked, then Autosave comes up at the appropriate interval. If I don't have that checked, it seems that it doesn't work at all.

Steve,

With Windows 7 it is VERY important that folder permissions are properly set.

Setting Auto-Backup to ANY sub-folder of ..MCAMX should NOT be done.

This is a violation of Microsoft Security Standards and this is 'enforced' by the OS.

You may need to take ownership of your backup folder.

Steve,

Sounds like you had a hard crash with the file open, the only way to save your bacon with that spituation is to have back-up files active, I have my Mcam back-up files mapped to a personal folder in the C: directory.

You can use the key map utility to setup a key stroke assignment for the save function I have mine set to ctrl S