Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Anti-Plagiarism utility

Allan Brown

Dave,

The history utility will show if the files were created with the same hasp but if they are using a nethasp that won't help.

The actual entities could be checked and compared using analyze database.

I.e., Two students may have created the first horizontal line from 0,0,0 to 3,0,0 but I doubt they would have been created at the exact same time.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Another suggestion:

Develop the CAD/CAM problems in a more open-ended manner so that no one should have exactly the same answer. That way if they do, you know something was going on. This works very well with the courses my wife teaches. It's interesting when you catch students, especially when they have the exact same WRONG answer.

But why all this fuss at all

If someone don`t want to learn you would never win

Lazyness is very creative !!!

I know hundred ways to change database without actually changing it at all so that any check of yours it will pass OK

BUt if is it worth it

I never cheated .

Others used my works

Me it never mattered

As Eeyore says I challenge any your programm

I will overpass your check .

But is it has any sense to waste my and your time .

Use it to teach those who want to learn .

Teacher always knows who cheats and who learns

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

The sick thing is that if the cheaters were to put only 1/2 as much effort into learning as they do into cheating... the possibilities would be endless.

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

quote:

...Why not just give everyone a seperate part? Draw straws for which part each student gets...

As someone who taught MC for 3 1/2 years, coming up with 20-30 projects was tough enough, let alone 20x that which is essentially what you're asking... That's a bit much IMHO.

In my case, mechanical engineering students are often/ mostly working in groups. We did ask for "independent" drawings but got multiple copies of the same..... go figure. Now ask for each team member to design a piece of the assembly etc. Students have lets say a box like case for their assembly.... there are six parts to the box, top, bottom, left, right, front, back and of course the assembly/mechanism.

By now you have guessed the result..... 3-D drawings of the six parts of the box. Students say we said that they each must do one of the components and that the box fulfills the requirement. Yep, they all look for the least input and expect a great result. They tend to visit the often spineless department heads or deans office to get their way... in the end they evaluate the instructor which has an effect on salary and promotion. So what do you do?

Too often the goal of students to get a "check mark" in a box showing that they have completed a requirement. There is only the occasional student that wants to get the knowledge the check mark should represent.

Trading education for experience is a poor trade. We have said a Phd is equal to years of experience.... and we were only fooling ourselves!

• 2 weeks later...

I teach HS and the way I check is by doing speed drills. basically I give them all the same drawing face down. stat the timer and walk the room. they can't ask for help or look at others screens. every drawing must be plotted by the end of the speed drill. noted the speed drills are not as complicated but the concept that are needed to complete them are the same and they must be known guessing usually does not work and the competition helps the class. class of 20 basically 10-15 min. part.

hope that helps

mike

• 1 month later...

I have been teaching MC for about five years now. I don't worry about how students cheat. My grading and testing is not based on any assignments I give them. They are based on test assignments I give that must be completed in the lab during class. I walk around and watch their progress as they work. When I see a student that should be doing things better than he is I simply ask: How many hours did you sleep last night? When he answers, "I got only two hours sleep.", I say, "That is two hours too many, you should have been working on MC. Your score today will be poor." Ya! it takes a little work to dream up the test exercises, but I have a lot of industry jobs I have done that I setup partially completed. My assignments require the students to do specific work to the projects. This seems to work real well.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...