Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

O/T Post Requests- legitimate?

PE @ IHS

Ryeker,

I think that all anyone asks is that you contact your dealer first, and clearly identify yourself as a legit user.

Seems like a minor imposition for hundreds or thousands of dollars worth of help for free.

Before I cash a check at the bank, they ask for my ID, and I never get put off by that.

Being a legit user is something to be proud of. I suggest you yell, at the top of your lungs, "My name is Bob, and I AM A CANADIA.... ooopps, I mean, "I AM A BONA FIDE MASTERCAM USER!!!!!"

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Charles,

I have no problem proving, or even shouting "I am Canadian & a legitimate MasterCAM user..!" It is just that this forum thread seemed to be be more "Look at me, I must be legite because I can write/edit MasterCAM posts & if you have to ask for a post then you must be a pirate".

I thought the idea of USERS forums was "For the user by the user"

Just my .02 cents worth...

Asking for help here is faster than going through the dealer, from my experience. Many times it can take minutes rather than hours. Sometimes this makes a difference. Of more importance is that there is an opportunity to learn each time a question is asked. I agree that if it is thousands of dollars worth of work it isn't really appropriate to ask for help here (i.e. a 5 axis post). However, a new comer to the board may not understand the complexity of what they are asking. Maybe a gentle answer informing them would be just as effective as a rant. And if it's a standard MC post with minor tweaks I don't see what everybody is getting upset about.

For the people who suggest contacting your dealer first about posts, why not suggest contacting the dealer on all MC questions. That's part of the reason they are there, to provide support. Then we wouldn't have to trouble the web masters here by having this MC board. To my mind, because MC does provide many generic posts (which is great!), asking for post help here is very legitimate.

I think it's a shame that some new members have to post defensively ("I am a legit user").

Finally, if you're not comfortable helping out, then don't help. I don't see the need or usefulness of going on a rant about piracy. Is anything accomplished? Does anybody believe that a pirate or two are dissuaded from their pirate ways? I'm sure that MC is doing what it can to take care of the problem, and I'm content to let them handle it.

Smit

P.S. (visualize a rooftop) My name is Larry and I am a legit MC user!!! confused.gif

[ 10-03-2002, 07:48 AM: Message edited by: Smit ]

Ryeker, Smit and Randy, my thoughts exactly. I've been coming here for about a year now and things definately seem to be getting more then a little hostile around here. frown.gif What happened to the days where you could post without the fear of somebody ranting and raving over your "rude" questions or answers?????? Every other thread seems to end up with someone claiming that the some other guy is wearing an eye patch or has a wooden peg-leg and a parrot on his shoulder and that guy replying I AM A REGISTERED USER. I'm sorry to bring this up again, I know I said I would drop it, but this whole thread was started because I offered a simple 3-axis post to a "not so state of the art" Anilam controller that uses a simple conversational code format. And as I stated before I recieved this post by asking the same question this guy asked and (again) nobody was flying off the handle calling me a pirate and posting seperate threads to point out the fact that people (for some unknown reason) are trying to help other people out that are in the same boat eek.gif . I thought that we were all in the same boat frown.gif ...........

Maybe you guys have just been listening to the crap that is spewed at you by "the other guys" how if you want a simple (notice the use of the world simple) post to go with your cam system you're gonna have to pay more and then pay some more when you actually need that post to work correctly and "I'll get that to you some time next week". Makes about as much sense as the guy who we just got our new "state of the art" computer from that crashes every day telling me "oh yeah, I can fix that...but it'll cost ya". But wait a minute... I paid you for a working computer frown.gif .... (I told 'em to get a Dell, but did they listen??? Sorry, Im getting off topic here)

I mean no offense by this post and you guys can huff and puff and grumble under you breath and reply with all the nasty comments you want, I'm just sayin that you guys need to chill out !!!!!!!! eek.gif We are all here to help and be helped remember??? Or is it that you don't need anyone's help??

Oh yeah, and by the way, my name is Ezra from ModelSource in Avon Ct. and I AM A LEGITAMATE MC USER rolleyes.gif

[ 10-03-2002, 09:21 AM: Message edited by: Zero ]

quote:

Everyone who wants to throw the padlock on this thread raise your hand...

Nothing more can be accomplished here besides pissing each other off and that really isn't the point

quote:

yeah! The testosteronometer on my computer is

off the charts

Both excellent points. Hmmmm, right then.

[bullines waves his hands over his magic cauldron and *poof*...the thread is closed]