Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

O/T Post Requests- legitimate?

PE @ IHS

Hello everyone

Just a fleeting thought....since Mastercam is widely used by pirates, the only somewhat useful item that a pirate user might not have available is a tweaked post. Why are people sharing these posts with complete strangers on this forum? Every reseller has access to good posts, whether they are free (Haas, Fadal) or for sale (i.e. 5 axis).

I believe that it would be prudent not only to stop giving away posts on this forum, but to start excluding them from the install CDs. Any legitimate user should be asking a reseller for such items.

Any thoughts on the matter?

Peter Eigler

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thats why only admins and moderators should be able to view members email addresses,its like James said most people asking are probably pirating,especially when the majority of them its there first post....i see it this way,would it be right for me to contact shops and offer programming for next to nothing and put someone out of a job just because i could....people take software for granted like its a God given right to have it and not something they should have to pay for but theres alot of individuals that get the shaft when stuffs handed out,yes granted posts arent the majority of the system but there a big piece of the puzzle and everyone that gets handed out a dealer some where lost out on.....times are tough enough righ now and that isnt helping it any

OK guys, first the O/T stuff is called into question [although limits are obviously required to prevent CMM Talk and the like] and now guys asking for post help; what's the deal?

I realize that some of you guys are extremely skilled post writers or modifiers or work for companies that can just call up their MC reseller and request a custom-tailored post for thousands of dollars. The rest of us either don't have the skills or the $ for this and request help for these problems; what is wrong with that?

If you wrote a post or bought one and don't want to give it up, that is perfectly reasonable; you put the sweat or the cash into it. But if someone else wants to share something, why stop them?

I am not a pirate, nor do I support piracy, but I don't believe that sharing of information between two consenting individuals is not a problem.

oppitz i have also asked that ?? got no feedback!! they could give you an access code to log in at point of sale and i think it would be a good part of the sales pitch to have this free knowledge based forom to access any time day or night to get some kind of help any time you needed it !!it would also free up ther own inhouse teck guys from redundant ???i only found out about this by accident after using mcam for nearly 10 years!! it is great cheers.gif

I'm sorry but I see nothing wrong in giving a post to another registered mastercam user that was sent to me via email from another forum user. I was under the impression that we are all here to help each other out. frown.gif

I know that when I asked the same question I was fairly new to the forum and did not have much of a post count. Nobody questioned me on wether or not I was a registered user. I got at least 3 responses from other friendly forum users. cool.gif

[ 10-01-2002, 08:53 AM: Message edited by: Zero ]

I think in other way, I think that the main problem is not sharing posts

I think the main problem is the protection; Mastercam Company should work harder on protecting Mastercam from crack

But if we will start to talk about not to share posts now, after while we will start to talk about not to learn and not to solve problem for others.

Salah

I'd like to pipe in just for the sake of piping in I guess. I am a new user to MasterCAM. I've been using it for about a year, at quite a reputable business (i.e. paid for software), and I think it is definately a "touchy" topic. I know that when I first started looking for custom posts, the biggest problem I had was dealing with somebody who claimed they were a post editor, but ultimately was quite the amateur. Bottom line, after paying a considerable amount of money to a person the local MC dealer suggested, the end result was a post, that by this time, with little post editting experience I have, I could have probably edited it myself with the same result. And I know being new to this site most would have been skeptical of sharing. What I have noticed, more than once is, dealers, and or contractors, are making money over and over again on an existing post processor that just has simple header and comment changes to it. I think that is unfair to the consumer, especially to the naive consumer looking to pioneer a new product. So the end all ("long winded") point I'm trying to make is: We as "Programmers" should stick together, help each other out, and let the salesman out there know that we won't be taken advantage of! cheers.gif

I agree slick

I'm waiting for 1 of you guys to suggest that there should be a fee for belonging to this forum......

I thought 1 of the great points about mastercam was that posts are so freely available for those of us needy mc users out there. I mean I can understand not giving out a 5 axis post that has been modified, debugged and tweaked (which by the way I have seen genorous people that have paid for these posts themselves give out freely to needy forum members). I think you guys need to chill out and not be so quick to judge our forum brothers new or old. rolleyes.gif

[ 10-01-2002, 01:39 PM: Message edited by: Zero ]

i have not charged anyone of the forum members for any post help. one thing that should be brought to attention though, as a dealer you have a great resource for posts. what most users don't understand though, even when dealers usually have a lengthy post library, they have put a lot of time into modifing/creating those post. most of the time, dealers DO NOT get paid for their time in modifications. even "simple" header/footer type mod's that we all agree are simple changes, can take up to an hour or more. this is time away from sales that the dealer has lost. please be considerate of the over-all thought pattern here. nothing in life is for free. even for MC dealers. if work is done, it should be compensated for. on the flip side, i do not encourage "gouging" the pockets of fellow users. we are all here to help.

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

Many times the post modifications the mojority of requests come in for are rather quick. But someone that does not even consider calling their dealer to investigate the matter/possibility I do have a problem with. I've given away many posts to legit users over the years, as a matter of fact when I was a reseller, when I sold a new system, and sometimes when an existing user got a new machine I'd do them for free. What I am opposed to however is helping a pirate get good code to his machine. The pirate can starve for all I care. These people are taking money out of you - the legit Mastercam User's mouth because they are taking work from your company ththat they could not otherwise do without Mastercam. So it's affecting you without you even knowing or thinking about it. Just think, you guys that are slow right now, if the pirate shops down the street closed down, you could get more work.

Anyway, I've always been very liberal with the time, energy, and knowledge I have in here. This place is one of the best Mastercam resources available and I intend tokeep on helping as many legit Mastercam Users as I can, how-to's, posts, whatever.

OUT!

quote:

I would agree with your thoughts.

Let the dealers hand them out.

Even if most of them are free.

I got what I needed when I needed it. This has happen several times over a twenty year period. Thanks in order Tom S.,Tom S.,Chris K.,Chris K.,Craig D., Dave B.,Jay K.,Glen S.

I have received help form many dealers. One time it was a lot of work, and the dealer still didn't charge me . Not because it wasn't worth payment , but because he was helping me. These men help to dig the well that I drink from everyday, please don,t give there work away for them.

Love

Scott

While I have no problem with people getting paid for their time and efforts; the amount that some people seem to want to be paid seems stiff to me. If a $200,000 CNC machine, the programming, the cutting tools, and the operator are only worth $60/hour; how is it possible that computer work can be worth 3X that? I work just as hard tooling, setting up, programming a machine as ANYONE does writing a post so I am slightly offended by some of the pricing that I've seen for certain services offered.

Am I wrong?

Like I said before, if you built it or bought it and don't want to share, that is up to you; but if the next guy is willing to give up his property for free, how can you feel you should stop him?

No

However I do not equate a corporation that develops an operating system with an individual that spends 30 minutes changing G28 to G27 or arc output from R to I,J or editing some code to spit out comments in a given format and charging $300 for his time

[ 10-01-2002, 12:39 PM: Message edited by: chris m ]