Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

? on stopping spindle at end of program

Chad LaMance

Never ever use a dwell to do this! This is illegal, immoral and unethical to ask a person to race against the machine. With that said, contact the machine builder and ask this question. What you are looking for is a function that will require the user to press the cycle start to continue thru the catchment (or whaterver word that you want to call it).

Alternativly, use a single block disable code around the part of the program that you want to run automatic and have some fancy block skip functions that will allow the program to stop. See below.

O1111

G90G80G40G17

G91G28Z0

N1

M33(SINGLE BLOCK DISABLE - LOOK THIS UP)

T1M6(TOOLCALL)

G90G54X0Y0S1200M3

G43Z2.H1

G91G28Z0

G91G28Y0X0

M34(SINGLE BLOCK ENABLE - LOOK THIS UP)

/M30

N2(PROGRAM WILL HANG HERE...)

G0T0 1 (OR M99 IF CUSTOM MACRO B NOT AVAIL)

M2

Run this program with the block skip and single block on! When you want the program to stop execution, then remove block skip and the program will halt at the end of the program. The single block will require an operator to hit the cycle start to move thru N2 and return to the start of the program.

I have't tried this on the machine, but do a little research to see if it can be done and report back any success or problems.

Regards, Andrew

PS - These and other techniques are available from Mike Lynch at www.cncci.com

Whoa! Trevor, while I'm not quite as morally offended as Andrew by your G04 suggestion, I must say that it IS pretty uncool to do that kind of thing.

UTM1; do you have a more normal name we can call you? I hate to respond to people by their handles...

Anyway

If there is any operator intervention involved I believe it would be a violation of OSHA regulations to leave the spindle turning while the operator is in the work envelope of the machine.

If it is a milling machine I wouldn't bother as milling spindles are built for stop-start-reverse operations and come up to speed very quickly unless you are turning something like a 12" facemill.

If it is a lathe, most lathes will not allow the chuck to be opened while the spindle is turning [some not at all, some only with the use of a special M code]. Some lathe chucks may actually damaged by opening with the spindle rotating.

To loop a program is fairly simple if you can do it; how about a little more info?

[ 10-03-2002, 10:41 AM: Message edited by: chris m ]

Thanks. We were able to get it to work, but it was to close. When I used a loop program I still had to put opt stop on, and that stopped the spindle. I got it to work with a dwell, but that was too dangerous. We originally thought the table was coming out far enough to not be in the way of the spindle, but once it worked we realized it wasn't worth it. This was my first post and thanks for the help. I am sure I will be back soon for more help.

Thanks Again,

Chad

guys, guys, easy!!!! the method i described solely depends on the operation and operator. i have used it many times. nobody says that you have to get down to split second timing where your heart is racing to get the part loaded.

man, this place has become pretty hostile.

there are many ways to get any job accomplished with speed and quality achieved. with that, there are always different factors that can be viewed and processed.

so, RELAX about my post. i would never and have never made or asked my operators to do anything that i have not done or would not do that is unsafe.

Trevor,

Have to agree with you on this one.

I've climbed in the machine with feed hold on

and checked things and climbed back out for years.

Even had the door interlock disabled so I could prove-out without 1000 alarms per hour. But that's not everyone else, so if people don't have common sense (uncommon virtue, don't know why they call it that) they will get hurt. But the hostility in here makes you feel like they think

your an idiot. OSHA is a joke if you ask me.

20+ yrs. in the trade and never even seen an inspection or review or whatever they call it.

Enough of my .02

Jim

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

One other thing that you can do in the post (see - I'm not opposed to giving some free post information as some blind fools have insinuated) is search for "stagetool" and set it to either "yes", or "1". Then search for next_tool and remove it in the "psof" section of the post and in the "ptoolchg". Now search for "M30" and make the line that looks like this;

#if stagetool = one, pbld, n, *first_tool, e

look like this;

if stagetool = one, pbld, n, *first_tool, "M6", e

What this will do is make it so that when the program restarts, the first tool will already be in the spindle thus shaving some cycle time out without jeopardizing anyone's safety.

JM2C and HTH

Alright Jim, I am actually fairly offended now

quote:

...even had the door interlock disabled so I could prove-out without 1000 alarms per hour. But that's not everyone else, so if people don't have common sense (uncommon virtue, don't know why they call it that) they will get hurt. But the hostility in here makes you feel like they think you're an idiot.

I don't know about common sense; I guess I probably don't have any. What I think is that it is not particularly bright to defeat the safety features designed into the machine and then allow anyone to run it.

You see, the way it works is that you disable the interlock and then they put the new kid on the machine who was flipping burgers yesterday and he gets his hand crushed by the machine because he is an idiot. Then he sues you [not the company] because you were willfully negligent in disabling the interlock and then his lawyer takes your house away.

Now, to me, it is common sense that I pay my mortgage so that my family can live in my house, not the 18 yr old burger delivery boy.

If you run your own machines, do what you want, if someone else runs them, leave 'em like they built 'em

C

Chris,

Why are you offended? It's my way of running

the machine, not yours. I don't let anybody

run my set-ups. They (the boys) only load

parts on machines that are bought-off set-ups

from inspection. I don't leave the interlocks

disabled after prove-out and I'm talking about

big parts on big machines in a cell with robots

loading the pallets automatically into the machine. Sorry you're offended you shouldn't take

it personally,I'm just saying that everybody does

things differently so take it with a grain of salt.

Jim

BTW: We don't hire burger flippers, they come from

NTMA or other shops and must pass pre-employment

competency tests and drug screening.

quote:

We don't hire burger flippers, they come from NTMA or other shops and must pass pre-employment competency tests and drug screening

WOW. Now that sounds like a good deal! We don't hire burger flippers [at least not yet] but we do have a guy who thinks he's a crackerjack [HA!] who was delivering pizza for Papa Gino's 3 years ago. No I am not exagerrating [sorry if I butchered that word].

I have operators who have run CNC machines for 10 years who don't know what the machine will do when it reads G81 frown.gif

I'd cover the whole machine with NERF if I could

C

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

I have a key to disable the interlocks if I need to setup a job because most of our machines will not let the spindle run while the door is open (which under operational circumstances is a good idea IMHO) and the windows are so bad now that I cannot see my edgefinder.... If I need operator intervention while the program is in cycle, I use Canned Text and I've got a few tweeks to do various things in the Canned Text so I've pretty much got that type of stuff covered so I don't need to have the door able to open while the spindle is running.

James

What kind of machines? Sounds like a Mazak; their safeties are pretty rigorous! I know that most of my machines limit RPM to something very low (like 300 RPM max) to allow edgefinding and the like.

I know that door interlocks can be a pain in the xxxx; but after you get used to having them, it is just "the way it is."

TGIF [even though I will be playing rigger tomorrow for 8 hours] cheers.gif