Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

File transfer to Fanuc

ScottyB

How are you guys and gals getting your files to your controller?

For many years I have had an old computer out by the controller so I could transfer files, with Procomm Plus, from the network to the Fanuc controller via RS232. Recently I put a new computer out there and didn't have Procomm Plus to install on it. I hoped that PCanywhere could do the job, but that doesn't look promising.

It's ironic that we hope to have a machine last 10-20 years but when it does you have to find a way to link modern software with stone age controllers.

I love my job. I love my job. I love my job.

ScottyB.

Maybe I'm just bitter 'cuz our UNbreakable quartback seams to have been broken. GO PACK GO.

We use Preditor software and communicate with all of our machines with one computer. If you only have one or two you can use Cimco Editor that comes with MC. I know that MC. used to give you rights to load Cimco onto 2 comuters so that you could use it on your MC machine and on a machine to comunicate to the CNC. HTH cheers.gif

By the way, As a football fan, I hope that your QB is back fast. Some guys you love to watch as long as it is not agianst your team. GO BRONCOS cheers.gif

[ 10-21-2002, 04:55 PM: Message edited by: heeler ]

quote:

Alot of the newer machines I have been seeing, are coming out whith Ethernet capabilities and internal hard drives

I have heard several horror stories about this; typically the CNC contracting a virus from the server of your network and going into self-destruct mode. eek.gif

I'll stick with my RS232

quote:

It's ironic that we hope to have a machine last 10-20 years but when it does you have to find a way to link modern software with stone age controllers

There is nothing particularly modern about DNC software or in the way new CNCs communicate through serial connections. If you need to get going immediately try the 30 day demo from the Cimco link at the bottom of the page; it'll work just fine.

C

[ 10-22-2002, 07:02 AM: Message edited by: chris m ]

I run six machines through ethernet-server,that way which ever machine opens I can download it

without having to link it to one machine.The controllers are fanuc pro a,and professional 3,works very well 3 years no problems.3 machines use one post and the other 3 use a differant post,but it gives me alot of flexibility.At night a guy just has to call up the next program and run it.I can store as many programs as the memory can hold and download them as I need them.

• 2 weeks later...

Scott -

In the good old days we had 286 and 386, maybe 486 PCs to communicate to our CNC controls. Now we have new Pentiums with GHZ speed and scratch our heads on why things are not the same.

Most likely what you will see is a "buffer overflow" when sending to these machines from fast computers which can be resolved by adding a line delay. This will keep them "talking" on the same level.

Check the FIFO on the communication port as well to adjust for the buffering. We recommend you disable this on the computer.

If you still get stuck, give us a call - we will be more than happy to provide you with more information to get you up and running.