Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Let`s make a FAQ

Fig sign

Hello , All !

Beeing here a lot of time , I think there is a need for a FAQ .

I think a lot of newbies not paying attention of the existence of a FAQ we have

Is it possible to sent it regulary say every day as a topic so the begginers will see it with a lot of favorite questions like:

Where can I find a postprocessor file?

What hardware ?

What can I do with a solid?

What is netetiquette?

and so on ?

I am ready to contribute in this . smile.gif

Do you mean like this? wink.gif

Forum FAQ

Its not a bad idea to email them a FAQ or even force them to the FAQ page first, but most will just click to go onto the forum. I bet most people just want to jump right in. Afterall how many people read the software agreement before running the software.

[ 11-04-2002, 08:59 AM: Message edited by: Mark H ]

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

It would be nice to have something that was a mandatory read before posting. It seems like a lot of first time posters are asking something that has been addressed before so we (regulars) in turn beat the dead horse some more. My favorites are the first posts that ask "Does anyone have a post for a ...?". Gotta love those. NOT!!!

I'd be willing to bet the largest quantity of first time posts are related to Computer Hardware and Posts.

JM2C

These are all good reasons for a FAQ page. I would like to bring up a reason to not have one. If you've ever tried a knowledge base that some software has you'll know where I'm going. Having a FAQ would mean that some subjects would no longer be asked about. This is, in my mind, dangerous because of the ever changing world we live in and the tools we use. If you are not satified with the answers in the FAQ you post on the forum. If a better solution is found then the FAQ needs to be updated. I'm sure that Webby is buisy enough without having to keep an eye on every post. And then editing the FAQ constantly. This software is so open ended that users find new ways of doing things every day, even something as simple as contouring(wait for V9.1). Having said that, a general guidelines kind of thing would help keep so many people from looking for post processors though.

If you have a question, look through the forum, do a search, it's easy. If your question isn't answered THEN post it. We'll be able to stop flogging those poor horses.

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

pactec,

Good point, but I would still suggest the FAQ be utilized FIRST, then if the question is not answered to the person's satisfaction then ask it. Not that I mind answering questions, just the same couple of questions over and over is rather boring and we won't learn that much answering the same questions.

JM2C

Me, being new to Mastercam have asked some of the "boring" questions that you are talking about. Yes, I think a FAQ would be a good idea but its tough to generalize MC questions. I thought this forum is for MC users who need help whether it be a basic question or advanced methods. I'm sure each and everyone has asked a lot of these questions. Unless you were born with this knowledge.

Hi ,All !

Thanks to everybody who takes part in this discussion !

Oppiz!

FAQ is the common practice in many newsgroops and in fido.

There is nothing bad in it at contrary it helps people to be more creative and not to ask questions the answers for which are in the FAQ.

JUST MAKE A SEARCH AND FIND HOW MANY USERS ARE THE FIRST QUESTION OF THEM IS HOW TO GET A POST FILE!

I don`t get to conclusion that all of them are illegals ,but most of the answers are ask your dealer sort of!

And thus the forum turns into the place you must read all this questions most of time .

Is it fare?

Why not to help people to enter here with a good basic FAQ wich can solve them a lot of their problems and time .

The same with netetiquette-it will help people to understand the game rules here.

And it will do good for all of us.

Nobody wants to stop somebody from asking but may be there will be sometimes no need.

It will be like RTFM.

Pactec!

You make a good point. The FAQ must be edited and updated .

The FAQ is not only for the beginners.

I want to make an example .

THere in a good russian newsgroop fido7.ru.game.unreal for the fans of unreal & unreal tournament.

The FAQ is constantly updating and I read it from time to time.

It sends automatically every week.

I sometimes found many good things there and I am not an unexperienced !

I have a question for a webmaster.

Can you organize a poll like this:

Do you think there is a need for a FAQ,

which will be sent as a topic automatically ?

[ 11-05-2002, 08:54 AM: Message edited by: plasttav ]

The idea of an enhanced FAQ which is constantly updated is a good one. However, how many users know where to find the FAQ link or would bother to click on it?

I have a possible solution to that. In other forums they have announcements that show up with the other topics, but they are always on top - above all the other topics (and generally you can not reply to them). The announcement's Topic title could read Answers to Frequently Asked Question - look here first - Last updated 10/05/2002! This could directly link to the the FAQ.

Another possible announcement could be to a link to the Search, since most people dont seem to notice those links (FAQ and Search) even though they are there further up on the screen. Users seem to only focus on the topics and nothing else. (Me included.)

Another anouncement could be about everyones favorite question... This announcement's topic title would read Looking for a specific post? and inside the topic it would say...

1. look on the CD
  2. contact your dealer
  3. then if you have no luck post in the forum.

Especially since that seems to be the number one question that most new users ask.

This may add some functionality and ease of use to an already great forum. Of course adding this functionality may not be as easy as it sounds, and it would give webby some extra work (hacking into the UBB code). Sorry webby et al.

Just adding my 2 cents, make that 4 cents, it was a long post.

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

Oppiz,

You're right, this place is for whatever questions you may have, but as has been stated here, a FAQ may help someone put into words what they are thinking. NOT as a replacement for the outstanding help that this forum gives but as an enhancement.

JM2C

Would it be possible when you post a new topic, before it was actually sent to the board, to have a search start automatically for key words and phrases which would link to the search engine and list the "10 most recent" posts on that subject and then if you haven't received what you are looking for, you could click a confirm new topic button to send to the board for a reply? Just curious? rolleyes.gif