Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Machining Vise Jaws

jspangler

Hi

Alot of the multi fixture machines I have seen have machined jaws on the vises for second ops.

How do you make these? Obviously you need the alumium jaws, but when you cut the part, do you space it out to actual size by clamping a chunk of aluminum between the jaws?

Thanks for any help

John

I always preload the vice jaws. What I typically do is put a 1-2-3 block in between the 2 jaws. This way I have room to plunge away from the material (My soft jaws are CRS). Then when I do my program in Mastercam I xform one jaw away 2" to mimick how the machine is set.

I can't think of the name right now but there is a company that makes jaws with slots and they use a shoulder bolt type of screw to fasten them down. The only hole through the entire jaw is just big enough to fit an allen key through. They also make jaws with multiple V's in the same jaw, and then the movable jaw has pistons that move to take up any difference in workpiece diameters. I wish I could remember the name. I saw at the last trade show in Toronto (probably 1 year ago now).

Hi

Ok, how much over do i want to preload the jaws to make sure they grab. My second op is hold a 2D part upside down by grabbing a 3" Dia. circle that's about 1" tall. bascially i'm wondering if i should space them out, say an extra 1/8" inch, to make sure they really grab.

Am I on the right track? launching parts from the vise scares the heck out of the guys in the shop. wink.gif

Thanks

John

John

I use 1 by 2 alum for jaws so if I need 3" dia I would make the jaws so I was cutting about 3/4" into the jaws. In otherwords your Y zero would be 3/4" off the jaw face. Then go however deep you need

It's the surface area that holds the part more than the jaw pressure

1 1/2" spacer between the jaws

Jim

[ 12-12-2002, 11:39 AM: Message edited by: Jim Whipple ]

You can also take your vise jaws and raw material, convert it into a solid or put surfaces on them and then convert (save) them as a STL file. When you "Verify" your toolpaths use the saved STL file instead of the jobsetup. This way you will see your vise jaws and material and how the toolpaths interact with them.