Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

O\T Microsoft Network Client v3.0 for MS-DOS

Zero

Does anyone have any experience networking with Microsoft Network Client v3.0 for MS-DOS? I have Mcam on a box with win2k in it and I have it networked with my controller that is running the MS-Dos network client. I've figured out how to get the controller to read from my win2k box and I can set any directory I want on this cpu as another drive letter on my controller. But I cannot see the controller as a part of the network from the win2k box to send files to. Is there any way to make the win2k box see the controller, or am I stuck only being able to use the controller to see the win2k box?

I don't think I'm using the tcp/ip protocol (this involves dialing up or using the modem I'm guessing, as this is what is used for connecting to the internet right? I'm knda new to this and figuring it all out for myself as I go along), I'm pretty sure I'm using the NETBEUI, but I know that both are installed (in the win2k box anyway).... Im using Ethernet NIC cards both Full Duplex 10/100 speed I believe. No domain, just a workgroup. The Controller is a registered user on the win2k box, and I have just gotten over the hurdle of the fact that the default setting for a new user in win2k is to have the password expire after 30 days (boy did that 1 have me stumped for a while mad.gif ).

[ 12-23-2002, 11:23 AM: Message edited by: Zero ]

Just to clarify, this is what I want to do. When I open the My Network Places icon on my win2k box and then choose Computers Near Me, I see 2 icons. 1 is the computer I'm using. The other is another win2k box that I have networked to here. I would like to see the controller as another icon here, so I can access the drive over there and send files directly to the controller without getting out of my seat biggrin.gif . The controller is on the network, I know this because I can access either of these win2k boxs from the controller and grab files and copy from there.

I know that there are alot of settings you have to make sure are right for the network to perform properly and this question probably wont get solved by someone who does not have the luxury of being here, being able to see what all my settings are. I was just hoping that maybe someone had an idea of what I could have missed. But just to make sure, I want to know if it is at all possible for this win2k box to actually see this DOS based controller as a computer on the network or am I just smashing my head against the wall trying to do something that can't be done. I can live with it the way it is now, it would just be nicer to click on a file and drag it over to the controller so when I get there the file is already there, instead of navigating the network with the controller

MS Client V3.0 is just that. "A client" (read no server support) so the long and short of it is not file sharing from that dos box it will not mater what protocol you use a client is a client.

Allan

You should be able to add a start up parameter to the autoexec.bat to map a drive letter to something like serverncfiles

HTH

[ 12-26-2002, 09:37 PM: Message edited by: Allan ]