Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Nvidia GeForce4 MX with TV Out

Charles Davis

I just ordered some Dell computers with 64MB Nvidia GeForce4 MX video cards.

Checking the Forum, there appears to be some conflicting results with this card: some have problems, others say no problems, particularly if you turn Nview off and/or turn Hardware Accel down.

Has anyone out there ordered a Dell lately with this card and is running v9.1? If so, any problems?

quote:

Since these are training computers and this is the card the Dell ships with, I'd prefer to keep them, as 8X any replacement card is a lot of $$$.

Boy and how. My company has a 16-station training lab in our office with its own server, plus a 19-staton 'mobile' lab of Wi-Fi enalbed notebook computers. The expenses mount very damn fast.

What I do with the Nvidia boards is make sure that they are using reference drivers from Nvidias web site. As the most grapicly demanding applicaiton we use is Inventor, followed closely by 3D Studio MAX, I use the reference driver version specified by Autodesk for Inventor. I find that if a card works for Inventor, it generally will work well for everything else.

The current certificaiton list for Inventor is here:

Autodesk Inventor Graphics

That site has links to the as-tested driver versions. I highly reccomend using them if at all possible.

Bad news and good news. Everyone was right, the MX card is not a good choice, and I've not been happy with the performance. So, I need to replace all 8 video cards.

I recently saw Mastercam running on a Nvidia TI card and was blown away by the performace.

The good news is I explained this to Dell and they agreed to let me return all 8 MX video cards for a full refund; absolutely no hassles. You just can't beat that -I was afraid I'd have to eat those MX cards! Thanks to Dell for the great service.

I'm getting Gainward brand TI4200 with 64MB DDR at a decent price from a local distributor.

[ 01-15-2003, 11:48 PM: Message edited by: Charles Davis ]

Charles you will be very happy with this new video card.

I have a few different ones of the G4TI cards and my first one I bought was the Gainward G4TI 4200 64meg and use that in one of my programming boxes.

Have had great performance from this card.

I have suggested this card to allot of people you can not beat the price or performance for this card.

My2cents

quote:

I have the same issue with ATI 9700 PRO (ghost) an I think it can't be classified as a "value" card. I'll try a Geforce TI4800 soon

No, it's true. You cannot classify the Radeon 9700 as a "value" card. Performance-wise, it blows the GeForce4 Ti 4600 out of the water in DirectX apps. However, Mastercam is an OpenGL app and ATI is notorius for horrible OpenGL implementations in their drivers. nVidia's OpenGL implementation, on the other hand, is one of the best in the business. Just be sure to avoid MX versions of the GeForce line.

I am using a ti 4000 series with 128,Some times

if I cut surfaces I dont want I will go back turn them off and re-gen the only thing wrong is the surfs look like they are still there even after I

turn off the visibility of there level.I cant touch them analyze them or anything they just dont go away until I close and re-open the file.Not to often but it does happen.I was using an ati card but I had alot of problems with that.

confused.gif

I am running an ATI Radeon 9700 Pro with no problems at all... It runs sweet in both of the CADCAM softwares titles that I use. biggrin.gif

If you are having an issue with your Radeon turn down the hardware acceleration in the trouble shooting tab of the video settings... that worked for me...!

Hmmm.. Maybe this cards just 2 fast...??? smile.gif