Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

O/T - NC programs storage, naming, sharing

kkominiarek

For many years it was just myself doing the programmming for our CNC machines. Now, due to expansion over the last year I still program full time but there are 3 other people that program as needed.

We now need to develop a system for naming, storing, backup, sharing etc... all of our CNC programs. We have a DNC system and we are all networked together.

Any ideas, suggestions or guidance on how to keep all of us programmers and programs organized will be greatly appreciated.

Also during our initial quoting process for new or repeat jobs, our sales staff has no way of knowing what NC programs are needed (if any) for a particular job and if it's a repeat job they don't know if we have an old NC program or we need to create a new NC program.

Any Ideas on how to manage this type of function will also be appreciated.

The best way to keep everyone on the same page ken is to use either a print number or a part number. If there are more than one operation to the part we will use a the letters "a" ,"b","c" etc. or numbers "1","2" or "3"etc. depending on whether the part number or print number ends in a letter or a number.

what we do is on our server we have a folder for the customer ex: boeing then folder with the part # or print# then in that folder would be the cad model the mastercam files our setup sheets instuction sheets and any documetation certs... etc and our photos of the setups and fixture location from the fixture shelfs the sales guy could first check the server to see what is done for a part # or what needs to be done its not perfect but it works some guys dont always do all the nessasary steps to keep the job fully documented but were tring ...also check out this web page im tring for this software for our shop for setup and assembly www.techviewcorp.com smile.gif

For Mastercam programs we use the drawing number and an op number to jog our memory, like "7348003_op1.mc9"

We make our own parts so that we don't need to segregate by customer as you probably would want to if you were a job shop.

For the actual programs we have developed codes to differentiate between machines and save programs as the last four digits of the P/N, then the op letter("A" for op1, "B" for op 2), then the machine code ("SL4" for our Mori Seiki SL4, "RA2" for our Matsuura RAII, etc) ; like "8003ASL4"

This has worked well for us for many years, especially with our old DOS-based editor which wouldn't accept more than 8 letters. If you have a newer system you don't need all of the abbreviations.

As far as remembering the programs you have, etc, we developed a database for all of our programs which is nothing more than an excel spreadsheet where we have things like program number, part number, part description, machine used, material, fixture #s, etc. This could be useful if your sales guys could simply check the list (read-only) and see if the part number has any programs. If you are a job shop you would probably want to add customer name and part revision to your database so it would be easier to search and you would know if any reprogramming would be required due to a new rev.

I can email you a small chunk of our database if you want to look at it

C

[ 01-23-2003, 07:13 AM: Message edited by: chris m ]

We are a small job shop,and I am the only one who uses the pc for programming,whew!

I'm so glad for that.

But we have 2-3 others who check the email for cad dwg's that our customers send and they just stick that stuff anywhere it'll fit!

mad.gifmad.gifmad.gif

For all my drawings,I have a seperate folder for each customer,and then I sometimes create sub-folders.

The labeling is pretty simple since Mastercam will allow you to put ina pretty long title

ex. "700546 acme splined shaft.mc9"

Also it really helps to write the program name on the print itself or create a traveler for the job,but traveleres can get lost.

I've written an MS Access database to track all of our programs. I also wrote the AASC internal spec. to show the programming flow / process. Our 'NCT's' are reguarded as tools, and can fall under our quality requirements. As such, the programs are controlled.

I'm a big stickler for standards and conformaity. I need to be able to pick up a program I 'wrote' two years ago and understand what is happening. Or be able to incorporate the information and process into a more recent part. The same goes for a program that someone else produced!

Kathy

Thanks for all your in put everyone.

It looks like we save/store our files the same way most of you do. Using dwg #'s, print #'s, files, folders and directories.

Kathy I am interested in your MS Acess database, would it be possible for you to send me a file so I can view it?

I have never used MS Access, any of your input will be very helpful.

Ken,

I would be more than happy to send you the database, but the file is much too large to email. There are over 2000 records loggged in since Dec 1999. Also, you need MS Access 2000 to open it.

I will take some screen shots next week so you can see what data I track and the format. The design is pretty simple, but with Access there are a lot of pretty databases you can design.

BTW, we store all of our files under the project code (an AASC internal number that is linked to job, customer...). We name our programs with the part number. the 'NCT' is the 'package' - sometimes we can have multiple parts in a folder, or nested on a panel.

For the brass ring - who can tell me what the acranom 'NCT' stands for?? biggrin.gif

Kathy

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

We do this;

ProjectsCompany12345678Rev12345678-X.mc*

All files are stored in this folder. STL FIles from Verification sessions, Backup FIles, G-COde, Setup Sheets, etc...

I use the setdirs C-Hook and select the files I want going into the folder.

Since I dont have seperate files for multiple operations, in the Operations Manager, I name the group as follows 1234567-1NC1. Th efirst 8 digits are the part number, the number after the dash is the dash number, the letters are the Revision and the number after that is operation number. I only have one part in a file. I use multiple WCS/T/C Planes to machine the part. It is MUCH easier to verify - no STL Xform headaches. Sure my files get large but I have all the part information in one file, no confusion.

I label my levels as follows;

#1-9 - Original Geometry, Material, SOlid for Machining, and solid for Weight Calculation.

#10-19 FIrst Op Machining geometry

#20-29 Second Op Machining Geometry and so on

#70-109 Misc.

#110-119 Tooling Geometry for First Operation

#120-129 Tooling Geometry for Second Operation and so on.

This has served me well and makes my files relatively easy for other to come and see what I'm doing as I have nothing to hide and readily share my "secrets" with others.

HTH

Wow Im impressed to all your suggestions/ recommendations ! Is this really how it work in your companies?

I guess I have to salute you guys!

Our practice in our company really isn't pretty.

we do it this way ..

programmer's namecustomerpart #..

..programmer's-way-of-naming-the-files

It really isn't pretty specially since there are 5 programmers who already left the company since we started (there are 3 of us remaining). Imagine issuing programs to the machine shop you did not make...

... then you'll see files named 'my first part.nci'

Man!! its ugly.

At least, I know now that somewhere out there there is some that kind of system..

Thanks.

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

I should have mentioned I work for a company that manufactures it's own product and products for our sister companies. We have 4 full time programmers and 1 part time one. The part time guy does things a bit different.