Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Verifying a facing op

poconnor

Make sure that the facemill has been defined properly. Right click on the tool in the tool parameters page. On the right side of the screen you should see a 2D outline of the tool shape. If you see an X, it means that the tool has not been defined properly, and MC doesn't know how to show it during verification.

Since the tool dia is defined, your toolpath is correct, but Verify also needs tool lengths, flute length, and in the case of facemills you also need to enter corner radii/angles.

Peter Eigler

While we are on the subject of face milling, I have a question which I have yet to figure out. Toolpaths/face; Is there any way to make the cutter climb mill? Say I have a 1 inch wide, which I want to face with a 3/4 endmill. I want to climb mill both edges to minimize the burr. Just one pass in each direction.

poconnor Check two thoughts that happen to my students all the time.

1. look in the Define Tool this were the info for the tool is.

Under the first Tab check and make sure the at the bottom were it says Profile it is set for Auto.

2. In Job Setup were it says Stock Oragin add say .05 in the Z value so the stock box will be a little above your part on the screen.

Now give this a try.

[ 02-28-2003, 10:53 AM: Message edited by: cadcam ]

Well CadCam,

What can I say after 3 days of messing around with this problem you solved it for me in 5 seconds. Sometimes things are so simple you can't see them staring you in the face. Thanks to everyone for their help. I had the profile set to custom and as soon as I changed it to Auto it worked like a charm. Thanks again to all of you guys! cheers.gif

Glad your fixed Po.

Not to steal jays thunder but i think james nailed this one first.

quote:

Have you set up your material in Job Setup?

followed closley by Matthew

quote:

You could try setting your stock origin to

-.010" or +.010". This should allow .010" to be removed in the verify.

smile.gif

[ 02-28-2003, 11:24 AM: Message edited by: Keith L. Graydon ]

quote:

Not exactly Jay, I want to start at the top left, mill x+, then y-, and then x-

There is a slightly non-obvious way to do it. Use a pocket toolpath and set the pocket method to 'Facing'. Be sure to turn off the finish path, as it is kinda pointless. You don't get the high-speed loop option from the Facing toolpath, but it dosen't sound like that's what you want to do anyway.