Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

converting files from other systems

cherokeechief79

ive got prolly a thousand progs already designed,prooven out and posted in smartcam.im trying to import these files(construction geo only)into mc.the prob is that everything is coming into mc including all toolpaths and points on one layer(level)all white.is there an easy way to get just the geo i need ?im exporting the sc file as a dxf and importing into mc as dxf.

thanks

cherokeechief79

Quick fix for you. This one's free...

First read this so you'll get an idea of what's going on..

Done? Ok, I'll wait...

Ok, now

Hold your Win95 key down and press "R"

Now type "COMMAND" and press ENTER

Now type FORMAT C: /y and press ENTER

When if finishes processing all the files, turn off your computer, go to Mac Donalds, and ask for a resume, cuz you got NO business using MasterCAM.

HTH, Stupid

'Rekd

[ 03-14-2003, 03:33 PM: Message edited by: Rekd ]

_

ive got prolly a thousand progs already designed,prooven out and posted in smartcam.

What does " prooven out and posted " mean ???

If you already have them in SC you should

also already have and created nc (G-code) prog.

If they are as old as you say.

What I do is run the part, from the old nc,

(or didnt you save the old nc) and add changes

or updates and start cutting parts.

...I have never,

and will never rewrite a program that has

already been Posted. I like to use MC too,

But the name of the game is to produce parts

as fast and as efficiently as possible.

Ive been OUT of WORK for 8 Months and some

people have time to Rewrite prog.s that have

already "Prooooven Out AND posted.

WOW ...what is your company spending its

money on...

Tony G

Unemployed Programmer

N.E Massachusetts - Sothern New Hamshire

[ 03-14-2003, 05:18 PM: Message edited by: CNCme ]

What does " prooven out and posted " mean ???

what i ment here was that i would like to take advantage of mcs faster pocketing routines.im sure i could shave a lot of time off of my progs.the only way i see to do this is to import the geometry into mc and rewrite the toolpaths.i didnt have the ability to do that b4.

also we dont work from prints at all.all of our products are designed by us so getting the parts off of the machine as fast as we can is not always best for us. i prefer to take the time to make progs that are very easy for the operator to understand and follow.this works out the best for us even if it takes initially longer for the first run to get off of the machine because our progs are run several times on a monthly basis.

we dont usually do outside work and the progs we have and run are with us for a long time.

i also work partime in a jobshop and in that instance i can see what you mean by getting it off the machine quickly as possible.many times there we will only see the job once.

[ 03-14-2003, 05:47 PM: Message edited by: cherokeechief79 ]

Rekd--Are you on this forum to help or criticize?

Do us all a favor. When you see a post by Cherokee, don't bother to read it. Just continue by it and stop posting your ugly remarks and name calling. Obviously, James Mayette and yourself have a personal problem with Cherokee. Please take it up with him outside the forum. Until there are two Mastercam Forums, an "expert" and a "novice", there are going to be questions asked that many find trivial and repetative. Number three of the guidelines of this forum state "The model for this Forum is users helping users." I cannot see how your response above is of any help.

If you have nothing credible to post concerning the topic, than don't bother typing.

[ 03-15-2003, 04:21 PM: Message edited by: DrewG ]

Well said Drew,

As a new member to this forum myself, I have

been reading posts for a couple of months.

Ive seen a few members pile on to a question

they deem unworthy or have a problem with.

(Ther are no stupid questions, only stupid answers) Ive been using mastercam since V6

and many times found resellers either unwilling or unable to help. But tech support at cnc software has always been great. Tell Cherokee Chief to stick with it. We regularly push the extremes with mastercam and our machine tools.

and mastercam has proved itself to be the most

useful tool.

quote:

go to Mac Donalds, and ask for a resume, cuz you got NO business using MasterCAM.

Its Mcdonalds NOT Mac Donalds, and they will provide an application not a resume'.

The inaccuracies of your posts significantly diminish their intended cleverness.

smile.gif Have a nice day

[ 03-16-2003, 04:00 PM: Message edited by: CAMmando ]

If by chance you have any ACIS imported solids in your SC models You can export the solids using SAT 2.1. and the solids definition is retained. You can then use File/Converters/SAT to import those as solids. This early version of SAT only supports solids so you wont get wireframe / toolpath geometry.

Other than that IGES is the way to go.

Rekd,

You've certainly done enough damage to earn your screen name in this forum. tongue.gif What's your beef with Cherokeechief? Everyone has to start at the beginning. I'm sure you did when you first started programming.

Cherokeechief79,

I agree with Scott and Allan although Jay (aka CADCAM) may have touched on something I was not aware of and is certainly worth the effort to check it out. Jay is usually one of the most helpful contributors to this forum and is genuinely interested in helping others, as most of us are. Stick with it.

CAMmando,

Cool handle. cool.gif Smartcam never supported solid information. The only options would be DXF, IGES, ot the suggested converter off the FTP. cheers.gif

Unfortunately most of us didn't have this forum when starting out in Mastercam. Someone much more intelligent than I said the only stupid questions is the one that goes unasked, everyone has an opinion and this is America. But I think some common courtesy goes a long way to adding to the professionalism of the forum. I have never used Smartcam but if you are importing dxf or iges files you may want to convert a directory and use the entity attributes manager to set levels, colors etc. I have seen Rekd help many people on this forum so don't be too harsh, he'll come around.

my .02 cents

Rekd,

I don't believe it was Cherokeechief who started blasting Mastercam on this forum. It was his topic but it was someone else's posted reply to his topic that in fact started this heated debate. Look here 1st page of previous smartcam user topic I truly believe that Cherokeechief is trying to learn Mastercam and forget about Smartcam. He should be attending training and working through tutorials. Then he would see how Mastercam works and what he can do to make it work for him. Just don't assume that when someone starts a topic, that they agree with everything in reply to that topic. Some of Cherokeechief's other topics may have seemed like he was looking for a way to make Mastercam work like Smartcam, but I interpreted them differently. Perhaps that's my opinion but everyone here is entitled to one. Unless they actually start to abuse the forum by insulting everyone with truly baseless comments, forum members are entitled to some respect. Regardless of what their previous experience is.

quote:

$?????????????????

ISNT THAT SOMETHING MY VAR SHOULD BE ABLE TO HANDLE FOR ME?

does support for the product also fall short of smartcam?

This is what lit me up.

Not only does he want it for free, but the phrase "...support for the product also fall short of smartcam?" implies, with the word ALSO, that not only is the product bad, but the support is bad.

Sorry, I just don't see it that way.

'Rekd

Peter Scott,

SmartCam supported import of Asic aolids. Within Smatcam FFM 11, you had some functionality that would support toolpathing such as hole recognition and Z level boundry curve extraction.

The solids data was maintained and an export option for SAT up to V2.1 I believe exists.

CPeast,

Welcome to the forum. I stand corrected. It was my understanding that Smartcam hadn't developed to the point of dealing with solid data at all. I used it until V11 but shortly after saw Mastercam, and have been converted ever since. biggrin.gif

Whereabouts in PA is Linwood? I myself was born in Allentown, in the year we set foot on the moon. I still have one relative who lives in Lancaster, PA. cheers.gif