Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

o-ring grooving tool?

Eric S.

hello

I am milling an o-ring groove in 316ss that has a dia. of 1.071", a width of.130", and is .078 deep (all with a tollerance of .004"). At the moment I am using a 1/8" stubby carbide endmill and ramping down. This works but it takes forever! biggrin.gif

I was thinking what would work much quicker; would be some sort of form tool that I could just plunge down into it. Anyone know if I can buy one someplace? Or I was also thinking that I might be able to use a boring head with a ground tool in it. That way at least I could adjust the dia. of the groove. But I would prefer to buy something that way it would not be such a pain in the a%s to change to a sharp cutter.

Any input here would be greatly appreciated smile.gif

Thanks.

Eric

[ 04-17-2003, 12:51 PM: Message edited by: Eric Salsman ]

I do similar o-ring grooves with 2d ramp contour

I thought it actually went kind of quick.1/8 diameter 2 flute stub tialn 14000 rpms 45 ipm

using depth rather than angle set at .007 took less than 2 minutes each, I have these saved its only like a .001 chip load at 600 sfm in p-20 however I am not so sure about 316ss.

Thanks for the input. smile.gif

I tried a little experiment. I took a boring bar for face grooving on a lathe and stuck it in a toolholder of my mill and plunged with it. It worked great! At least the finish was nice but of course the sizes were all wrong. If I stick it in a boring head at least I could adjust the outer dia. Then I could grind the side of an insert down to the proper thickness and it just might work biggrin.gif . If that fails the at least I would just have to mill the inner dia.

Eric