Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Auto load of machine definition file???

Newbeeee™

Hi All,

When we open an exiting mastercam file, we always load (our latest) machine definition file.

This is in-case there has been a post mod since last time of opening, and our re-seller has advised us it is good practice to do this.

Is there a reason why mastercam doesn't load the latest automatically?

Would it be advantageous to have a setting (tick box) in the config file that would allow the user to have mastercam either do this automatically, or leave as legacy?

If it's seen as a good thing, I'll send it to QC enhancements.

Cheers

Topic starter talks about already created file with machine definition and toolpaths in it. Mastercam saves the machine definition in the MCX- file and doesnt update it to the latest version of that machine definition when you open it later. This is the most frustrating "feature" in Mastercam that I know and I´m definately agree with Newbeee, we should have the option to automatically load the current MD when opening older file.

We have the same frustration. You fix or improve one thing in your MDef, and then you have to remember to replace it in every file from now on. And in two months maybe I'm replacing it on file are already did. No way to tell if you have the latest one.

Never was really sure why the MDef gets copied into the MCX. The post doesn't get copied in. So, if you make changes to the post, you don't have to do anything to get those changes to take effect. Just post and go. ONE master copy of the MDef would do the same.

I might suggest this enhancement. A config setting with several options:

Update Mdef on file open

1. Always
  2. Ask
  3. Never

Mastercam loads a 'Local' copy of your Machine and Control definition into your MCX file as others have mentioned. The reason for this is so you can make 'file' specific changes to your MD/CD combo. For example, you might be programming a huge file and have a need to reduce the size of your NC file. So you go into Machine Group Properties, Files tab, click on 'Edit' for the Local copy of your MD. This opens the Machine Definition Manager. Click on the button to edit your Control Definition. Now go to the NC Output page and turn off the checkbox for 'output sequence numbers'.

Now save the CD and MD. This saves the change to your current MCX file, without changing the Library copy of your MD/CD. That is the reason Mastercam saves the MD/CD inside your MCX file; to allow you to make part specific changes.

This works great, except for the fact that file paths are hard coded into both files. So as you upgrade versions, the file locations change. That causes errors when posting, so that basically requires you 'Reload' the MD/CD into your file.

At one time Takashi Sato from A.I. Solutions made an add-in to Mastercam (can't remember if it was VBScript, NetHook, or Chook) that would reload your MD/CD/Post without opening the MGP. This was awesome, but I had some small issue with it not working correctly, and never followed up with Satosan. I think it was shortly after this that his boss said "no more free stuff". I got pulled into many other projects and forgot a out it...

After reading Colin's post it makes me wonder even more, why have a File Copy of the Mdef, rather than just a Disk Copy? Seriously, I can strip block numbers in the editor after posting much faster than editing the local Mdef. So, there has got to be more compelling reasons to have to go through all the Mdef updating and replacing.

But I can't think of any right now (ok it's early) :unsure: . What are there others that you would regularly need to change from file to file? Maybe we aren't taking advantage of those here, but it seems that a machine is a machine. If I add a rotary axis to my machine, and then to my Mdef, it should automatically be available to any MCX file, whether old or new, that uses this machine.

I think the problem may be that "occasional options" like sequence numbers, are too tied up in the Mdef. Some settings should be in the config file, and some as the Mdef default ,with an option switch to change these from the default on the fly.

Examples:(1)drafting settings are global. But as soon as I create a drafting entity, I can modify it. This doesn't change the global drafting settings, and doesn't require me to load a new set of global drafting settings to accomplish. (2)Mdef/Cdef settings you can change on the fly after it is loaded; "Output MCX file descriptor", Misc reals/integers, NC file path, tool library.

I'll have to find my list of Mdef/Cdef defaults you can't change without editing teh Mdef, but should be able to.

Not whining, just wanting to help keep Mcam in the lead of functionality. :D

I understand your point Tom, but I disagree that stripping the line numbers out with an Editor is the right way to go. What happens a year from now when you get back into the same file. Now you have to remember to hand-edit the code again.

I do think it should be easier to reload these files from the library, and an Auto-update feature to reload the files when you open an older version would sure be nice.

It seems that not very many people actually use the features in the MD/CD. Especially companies that have just upgraded their V9 posts without taking advantage of the new features that are available. Of course, to do that you either need to know how to edit posts, or pay to get it done. That is the problem that most shops have...

When X came out, I thought the idea of a local machine def you could edit for a specific project was a great idea.

I practice though, I almost never use it.

plus

What happens a year from now when you get back into the same file. Now you have to remember to hand-edit the code again.

the inverse is also true..

What happens a year from now, when you open your file ( with the custom tweaked local machine def) in a new version,

load your new X7 machine def/post and forget your custom edit??

The most common tweak I used to do was to change the spindle speed clamp on lathe machine defs.

For example. a lathe with a 5K spindle, running a big or unbalanced part. You may want to restrict the spindle to 5 or 600 rpm.

This is easy to do by editing the local machine def, but could prove catastrophic if you forget that edit a year down the road.

The most common tweak I used to do was to change the spindle speed clamp on lathe machine defs.

For example. a lathe with a 5K spindle, running a big or unbalanced part. You may want to restrict the spindle to 5 or 600 rpm.

This is easy to do by editing the local machine def, but could prove catastrophic if you forget that edit a year down the road.

G,

For fear of going off topic, we ended up hard coding in the post at the very start of the program (with the cancel codes) a low rpm spindle clamp for our 6" chuck machine

G21 G40 G80 G90 G95

G28U0.W0.T00M5M9

G92 S500

As lathes are probably the most anti-social machines you can get as they are effectively always trying to throw the job at you :o , we thought that this was the safest option.

On the machine we would alter the S clamp value to suit the job in question (and then save the proven program).

It just seemed the safest option to us.

As for editing the local machine def, I don't know of anyone that does. When it's set-up for the machine in question, I thought that was it and don't touch it.

I didn't realise that it was envisaged to be used in this way (editing rpm/stripping out block no's etc).