Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Optirough appears very buggy

peon

I've been playing with the Optirough toolpath alot in the past couple weeks. I'm finding it very buggy. On many occasions it will take a full slot cut and with the "Use core mill passes" checked, it will often start ramping BELOW your stock. NOT GOOD!!! I've been lucky to catch it in verify before smashing cutters on both issues.

OPTIROUGH_BUGS.jpg

From your backplot, I don't really see any issues. It appears your cut "Z-value" is at the top of the block where there would be minimal, if any, stock. Set your z-step value to a larger number and I'm sure you will see better results. I have not come across any issues with this toolpath so far.

Carmen

Just got word back from QC. Apparently the issues are solved in MU1. I was able to work around by changing the "Z Minimum" value to .400". This solved the ramping issue. I also changed the "Motion > Gap size, retract" from "Never" to "When avoiding a boundary AND exceeding a distance" and set the "Gap size" distance to 2.25". That solved the slot cutting issue. I'm just glad it is fixed in MU1 and hopefully we'll see that patch soon. :)

Ive had some serious issues using bullnose endmills for both 2d roughing and optirough. It doesnt seem to know that there is stock left where the radius on the back side of the tool passes and on some back travels it shoots through that stock/large cusp at your high feed rate (some times for me up to 1000ipm, giving some very bad results.

I havent had enough time to play with optirough to find out if it does it in all situations but I have seen it happen once already.

It's certainly hit and miss. I programmed 12 trodes without any issue using bull nose cutters. I got thru the last part by drawing a custom bullnose tool on a level and defined it in the library as "undefined" without a corner radius. That way I'll have an accurate .stl model after verifying and so I can reference the roughing stock in the Rest Rough toolpath.