Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Active Reports Tool List/Set Sheet ***OPINIONS***

Newbeeee™

Hi All,

We're currently working on an Active Reports Set Sheet, which is more of a tool list really, but gives us the information we need.

The format (pdf attached) is as we require, but Active Reports doesn't quite work how we'd like it to.

Ruth at CNC wrote it for us (thanks Ruth) and it nearly does what we want (Before anyone says, we don't want to run X+, as we want to run 'genuine' :rolleyes: )

The attached shows output directly from Mcam, and we would then add text for Notes/Tool Holder/Tool Length/& Datum information as required.

So the idea is to put this up for all to comment (good/bad/otherwise), then I'll put an enhancement request into QC to (hopefully) get things changed.

For Active Reports to work as we want it to, we would ask for the following:-

1. Be able to save in MS word format (RTF loses the boxed lines but pdf shows them but the output isn't easily editable).

2. Be able to add formatted text in the comments boxes (ideally before saving to MS Word).

cheers in anticipation

Eagle.pdf

Out of curiosity, if you are using the same tool in multiple operations does it list the tool twice?

Ive seen a couple of these floating around that looked pretty nice but they seemed to list the same tool several times if it was used in more than one operation.

I like it.. very simple and clean.

Opinion as requested. Eagle.pdf looks lame.

I may be missing the point here but...

As far as WORD goes, THIS WORKS: Set-up X, output as HTML, save it to the desktop (or wherever), open it with WORD and edit away. You can slug out an entire Row if you don't want to see duplicate tooling in the list (Bad Idea IMO), same with entire columns or just edit a single letter. Entire rows or columns will drag and drop as well or can be resized. Need to add more pics for the set-up other than the screen shot? Here ya go. You can also save it as a *.DOC. I'm using Opera as my browser, WORD 2003 as my editor. This isn't perfect but works decent.

I guess from an operators stand point, the simple set up sheet works fine. As a programmer though, X+ gives me the fastest way to check Z depths, stock to leave, coolant or what ever. It's down and dirty fast and hasn't let me down yet. Way to go Gunther.

PDF-XChange Viewer

http://www.tracker-software.com/product/pdf-xchange-viewer

I think I would try a couple of different options and then decide on what's best.

We use PDF-XChange Viewer which is free and allows us programmers and the setup\machinist

to easily edit the PDF. You can also create shapes and add dimensions if needed within the program.

Of course this program isn't that much help if your just printing out your setup sheet from word.

A question on #2 from your list: Is the formatted data always the same for the tool? What are the

"Notes" that you would put in for the tool? If the Notes are always the same for that tool it would

be an easy thing to add thru scripting within your Active Reports Setup Sheet. If the Notes you are

adding are different each time and your making them on the fly, take a look at this post (Linky). It

talks about using "Annotations" in the Active Reports Viewer.

I just re-read your post and noticed "we would then add text for Notes/Tool Holder/Tool Length/& Datum".

The question is Why? I mean I understand adding some Notes, but the Tool Holder and Tool Length and I believe

the Datum could all be generated by Active Reports.

Firstly, thanks for all the replies.

To answer the questions:-

Nope, I haven't tried it on millturns.

Notes can be anything - for example flute length on a tool, so would be different each time.

Tool holder is incase there is clearance issues (for example), so ER16 would be entered.

Also, we have 3x BT40 VMC's and 1x BT30 Robodrill. The 1x program runs in all machines and the set sheet is shared. So if a job never before run on the Robo is transfered to it, BBT (dual contact) would be entered for the facemill and large (routing) tools.

Datums would always need more info I would have thought. For example the addition of a Fixture number.

Genuine meant Mastercam rather than an 'add on'.

+ another one for Gunther though as we use X+ for a quick check of the program for coolant/datums etc exactly as MCM says.

It doesn't list duplicate tools.

It doesn't yet sort by tool number. Ruth (CNC) said X5 has this option but this is currently X4.

Attached is an example of our working standard MSWord template(older version though). This is hopefully less lame as it is less bare/more populated. We did look at more involved set sheets, but this format works better for us than a load more sheets of paper with piccy's of tools or screen shots on (information overload).

Afterall, whoever is setting the job can run it through verify or NCPlot which is way better than the screen shots anyway.

So, are we asking for something that can't be achieved?

From the comments, being able to save in MSWord format would be of big benefit to most.

Personally, all we want is a set sheet that can be automatically produced in the main, but be easily edited as required.

If anyone at CNC can jump in to comment it would be very much appreciated, because we really want to persevere with this but don't want to flog a dead horse if this will never be able to do what we want.

Cheers

SET UP SHEET.doc

Ok,

Enhancement request sent to QC for:-

Save as MSWord format (keeping text format / boxes / lines etc)

Simplification of the add text command in active reports (ref Colin G (ex Boeing) comment))

Confirmation that it can sort by tool number (ie T1 followed by T2 etc)

Confirmation that this report format would work with mill-turn

I'll add a reply when I hear back.

BTW - RandleXX - Yes, it will output selected ops as required.

Cheers

Hopefully CNC (Chris Bell) doesn't mind me posting his reply...

Enhancement request number given for the ability to save in MSWord format (woohoo!).

Colin G's (EX Boeing now!) request about simplifying the adition of text within the active reports viewer may be a no-go. Chris is unsure whether it's possible or not to do anything with this.

X5 can export tool lists from the tool manager and yes, they can be sorted by tool number.

The MTM tools are in separate libraries (Mill tools in one, lathe tools in another). This means they are exported in separate lists but Chris says they are 'aiming to address this in the future'. So that's on the list as well then.

Thanks to all who responed to this.

I'm probably tooooo optimistic to think that the word enhancement will be in X5 MU1... :)

Enhancement Request:

How about the ability to select operations and run a report?? Right now when you right click on selected operation you on get a couple options like "Doc File" or "Setup Sheet". It would be nice to add a "Report" option that would allow you to run a customized active report file.

How cool would that be?

Randle - check out post #15.

It does this already.

Not for me..

The only options is "Set-up sheet." If you run this, it will run a full blown set-up sheet with image capture and all! This takes forever.. I would like to just run a report without all the image capture crap.

Maybe even select from a few different types of active reports.

This is what Ruth (CNC) wrote for us.

You're running the default report which gives you just about everything you dont want, and not much of what you do!

To get what I outputted (post 1) you would need a custom/modified active report written and installed in the correct directory.

Then when you run it, it will be that which outputs your set sheet.

You could have a copy of mine but until it saves in word format, it's very limited (to me anyway).

newbeeee - Have you tried changing the "view" in Word to Web Layout View?

I'm not sure this will work as I don't have Word installed, but generate a

report and save it as RTF. Then when you view it in Word change the view to

Web Layout View. Can you see the boxed lines now?