Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Windows 7 graphics issue

Jeremy St. Peter

We are having an issue with the graphics on our windows 7 machines. They all have quad core 2.66 GHz processors with 6 GB ram. They have NVIDIA Quadro FX 1800 graphics cards. The problem we are having is that on occasion the screen will display random toolpath geometry or the screen will go blank entirely. When this happens a movement of the mouse or zoom will correct this problem but it can be problematic when trying to manipulate surfaces. We use these machines to model electrodes in surfaces and to do surface machining. Is anyone else having a similar issue? Any fixes for this?

Do you have graphics set to "best performance"? My computer > right click > properties > advanced system settings > performance> settings > adjust for best performance.

I tried this setting but doing this basically disables everything windows 7 and makes things appear like xp. We operated for a long time with x4 with no issues, this problem just started happening 2 or 3 months ago.

No offense but a comp like that should never have to be set for best performance. Only use that setting to trouble shoot. Sounds like you have some conflicting software issues. I don't have WIN7 or X5 so I'm stretching a bit here. Try shutting off some apps, better yet all apps not required while running MC. Try older drivers and newer drivers for your video card. Even swap the card out if that's possible.

degrade the performance of an operating system software

its not performance... its eyecandy..turn it off and the computer has more resoursea availble for real work.

Catia Solidworks, NX Vericut, and Mastercam all run better with graphics set to "best performance" .

I run a custom settng myself.. with most but not all the eye candy shut off

autosave feature

back in V9 days I had autosave destroy a couple of large files.

It would be writing an autosave file which might take 30 to 90 seconds depending on file size.

Unaware of this, I'd be working away, banging on the key board, deleting geometry , regenning etc etc.

Sometimes this causes a 0 byte crash resulting in a total loss of both the active and the autosave file.

I shut autosave off and havn't used it since. I have no idea if it works better now or not.

If you got Mastercam's backup utility set up properly, there is no need for autosave.

• 2 weeks later...

I tried your suggestion Rich and this put me in windows basic display mode. I then set my theme to this and have tried if for a while. This disabled a frequently used windows 7 feature for me. There was no longer a preview when you move your mouse over the program in the start menu which is very helpful when multitasking. I agree with randle that some of this eye candy is actually part of usefull features within windows 7. Thanks for all your help but I would really like a solution that would allow me to leave the visual themes alone. My IT guy updated the drivers but this did not resolve the problem.

My first guess would be that it's a driver issue.

You say that you've tried a couple of drivers, I would suggest that you keep trying older drivers until you find one that works.

Heck, you may have to go back a year or 2.

Do your cases have good airflow? both intake and exhaust?

Since it's happening on all 4 machines, that kinda rules out overheating, or a bad vid card, or maybe even a CPU that is getting too hot.

I thought this might fit in here,does anyone have any issues of moving 32 bit Win XP files in MC5 to a 64 bit win 7 MC5 Machine, I am having solid models come out a little different than how they were in xp32 mc5.

come out different visaully .. or really different...???

We've got thousands of files .. from V8 to X5

with 2 programmers running XPx32 and 2 programmers running Win7x64

and I havn't noticed anything like that

Well it's good to see they changed that.

Still I don't pay for AV software when there are some really good free ones out there like AVG.

Couple that with Spybot and your machine is almost bulletproof from a virus.

LOL.. 90% of the machines people bring me to devirus have free AVG on them.

$45 a year for 3 computers is nothing..

I've got both Areo Peek and Mastercam running on my home machine.

On this machine the option isn't on the graphic's performance page

see the attached screen shot..

on my home machine, right under

"Enable Desktop Compostion"

there is another setting called

"Enable Areo Peek"

I have them both checked and both MC and Areo Peek work..

I'll post a screen shot off my home machine when I get home this evening

This is a screen shot of graphics settings on my work machine and they work very well

I don't know why the Areo Peek option is not available .

I must have graphics set to Windows Classic somewhere else

post-162-0-97195100-1297381891_thumb.png