Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Haas tool change position

Hello all.

We've recently added a 5ax trunnion to our VF-3. This combination does not leave a lot of room for tool changes. I'm curious if it's possible with Haas to force it to run a specific program for tool changes. I believe this was an option on Fanuc controls with a parameter change. Looking through the Haas manual I see I can alias M codes that could this, for example call M106 instead of M06 and have it run a program that would position the machine and then call M06. This would work for posted code, however I'd also like it to work for the ATC FWD and ATC REV functions on the control. Anyone have any ideas on this?

Thanks,

Matt.

I had my post modified to have a g28 y0. and then a g53 x-50. (pretty sure) hard coded into the Haas 5x generic post. So the table comes all the way forward in the Y and all the way to the right in the X. It works pretty good. It got the trunnion as far away from the tool changer as possible. The X-50. will change relative to the size of your machine. So yours should be X-40.

Have you checked with Haas? I wouldn't know how to do it, but I would assume they could set something up that, no matter how a toolchange is initiated, it would run thru some sort of macro to position the table before any tool change occurs. That would eliminate the need for post mods and idiot-proof the ATC forward or ATC reverse toolchanges, which is what it sounds like you're after.

Very good approach on your side, just can't help you with implementing it. Sorry.

Hello all.

We've recently added a 5ax trunnion to our VF-3. This combination does not leave a lot of room for tool changes. I'm curious if it's possible with Haas to force it to run a specific program for tool changes. I believe this was an option on Fanuc controls with a parameter change. Looking through the Haas manual I see I can alias M codes that could this, for example call M106 instead of M06 and have it run a program that would position the machine and then call M06. This would work for posted code, however I'd also like it to work for the ATC FWD and ATC REV functions on the control. Anyone have any ideas on this?

Thanks,

Matt.

Hi Matt.

Last place I worked we had the same setup as yours. I asked a HAAS tech the same question and he showed me the following:

1. Setting #7 = PARAMETER LOCK: OFF

2. Parameter - 210↓

3. Press emergency stop

4. Start with a value of -4000000 on VF-3

Change this value as needed. Maximum value will depend on your machine.

5. [Write]

6. Parameter - 211↓

7. Leave at 0, but may be changed if different Y tool change position is needed

8. Parameter - 266↓

9. ZERO AXIS TC (bit #4) (X axis) = 1 [Write]

10. Parameter - 267↓

11. ZERO AXIS TC (bit #4) (Y axis) = 1 [Write]

12. Clear emergency stop

13. Setting #7 = PARAMETER LOCK: ON

For reference, for no movement at tool change:

1. Paramerter 210 = 0

2. Paramerter 211 = 0

3. Paramerter 266 = 0

4. Paramerter 267 = 0

I hope this helps. It did the trick on our machine. It has been a while since I worked there, but I do believe even ATC FWD and ATC REV will cause the machine to move to the safe position.

Good luck!

Bob

• Like 1

We have the tool change on startup disabled so I'm unsure what happens in this situation. It seems to move to that position whatever I do for a tool change, M06, ATC FWD, all the probe macros since I'm sure they are using M06. I might try it out one day, but for the moment I'm just going to leave the tool change on startup disabled.

• 5 years later...
  • 2 months later...

I can move the axis with the dial. It just doesn't want to do anything then I have TC Home turned on in the X axis. I'm not saying the machine is broken and won't move. It just won't go to the newly assigned tool change position in the X axis when a tool change is called. Setting 266 bit 4 is turned to 1 and tool change offset is set to -16000000.