Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Surface Normals?

neurosis

Thanks for the suggestion. I am guessing that this is not a free add on since it is listed in their 5 axis tool kit.

Seems that Mastercam should have something already to make this job easier rather than relying on an add on from another company.

Wizzard,

This part was imported from IGES and is too dirty to be converted to solid. Ive tried in both Mastercam and solidworks. Short of going through and patching all of the holes I am stuck working with these surfaces. There are so many surfaces that I am having a hard time even seeing which ones have the normal set in the correct direction.

Htm,

I tried that. It worked for quite a few of the surfaces but left quite a few pointed the wrong direction.

Is there a fast way to select 1000 surfaces by normals? :D There are literally so many surfaces it is hard to tell which are facing the right direction. It would help if they were shaded and still showed normal by color.

I work with surfaces almost exclusively...except for the few times when I can do solid conversions. It would be great if the surfaces would show the normal direction while being shaded. I have found that there isn't a quick fix to setting all of the normals..the moldplus add on seems like it might be the way to go.

Dave,

This may or may not help you. Select all your surfaces, Right-click on 'Attributes'. In the dialog box, check the 'Surface Density' option. Make the number '15'.

The surface density effects the display of the surfaces in wireframe display. The surface density is a scale from 0-15. The higher the number, the denser the number of curved lines on the surfaces. This should make it much easier to see the normal side.