Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Config, kmp, mtb, etc. automatic installer ?

Chris Rizzo

Anybody got any ideas on how to build an installer of sorts that will automatically propagate a config, kmp, mtb, and .scg file from a thumb drive to the respective folders on a pc?

On any given day I use about 3-6 different pc's, and every night a drive shield restores a master c: image. It would be really nice to have some sort of one-click customized file placement.

Chris,

That's great idea. It would also be useful for new installs. Even a good list of files would help.

I miss the old days when all the stuff was stored in a .ini

I will be getting a new workstation soon and I can't wait to spend a day screwin around with my settings in 4-5 main programs. :rolleyes:

before X5, this was easy to do. Now that they decided to move things to machine specific folders....its a PITA

For example, the mastercam .kmp (keymap) file is located here on my machine.....

C:\USERS\JAMES.cvm\DOCUMENTS\MY MCAMX5\CONFIG\MASTERCAM.kmp

on a machine with a different user it would be something like this....

C:\USERS\joeblow.cvm\DOCUMENTS\MY MCAMX5\CONFIG\MASTERCAM.kmp

thats just figuring bother users are running windows 7....the paths in Windows XP are different.

all of these paths are in the .config file....pretty much what I have started to do is make a config file for each computer and run a .bat file to copy all of my preferred settings.

I wrote a bat file that will edit mcamx.config & Mcamxm.config to put in the proper paths and then copy all of my posts, configs, toolbars, etc to the proper users' folders. It's not the smoothest running thing in the world (takes about a minute and a half to parse through the config and replace the paths), but I'd be happy to share it with you guys. It works with either windows 7 or xp. I'm assuming it'll work with vista, too, but I haven't gotten access to any workstations to test that yet (luckily!)

*EDIT*

I've thought of a couple of ways to quicken it up, but I don't customize installs THAT often, and it's only usually once per install, so I haven't really pushed it. But I'm sure it could be optimized relatively easily..

However, there's a great chance to really screw up your config if you use it, so I'd prefer not to just post it up for the world to see and abuse. Send me a message on here or an email to aeberhard (AT) centroidcnc.com and I'll help you out over email with it if you want to see it.

I put this super-simple one together, works pretty good. The config needs some tweaking for all the file pointers.

echo

xcopy Q:\Profile\mastercam.mtb "C:\Documents and Settings\chrisri\My Documents\my mcamx5\CONFIG"

xcopy Q:\Profile\mastercam.kmp "C:\Documents and Settings\chrisri\My Documents\my mcamx5\CONFIG"

xcopy Q:\Profile\mcamx.config "C:\Documents and Settings\chrisri\My Documents\my mcamx5\CONFIG"

xcopy Q:\Profile\user00.scg "C:\Documents and Settings\chrisri\Application Data\3Dconnexion\3DxWare\profiles"

pause

Chris - The only downside of that is that you can't use that config for any user other than "chrisri" or on a system other than windows XP.

If you want it to be dynamic and work for any user, you have to actually read the path that X5 is installed to from the registry (the Hkey_Current_User\software\CNC Software, Inc.\Mastercam X5\ path)

What I have my script to do is parse that key to a file, save it as a variable, then I search through the mcamx.config to replace that one token, like the "UserDir" installed directory. Then I repeat that for the Shared Directory and the Mastercam Install directory.

It took me a while to get the script working right :) It's been a while since I did any scripting that hard core...

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

Does anyone know how to make a icon point to specific config file when clicked on?

I believe you jusy edit the command line. Add a space, and the config file name after the *.exe and it shoudl point to the right congig.

HTH