Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Surface High Speed Finish

Mick

I have to be honest, I've never really used the Surface -> High Speed -> Finish toolpaths. However, today I thought I would try them out. What I can't find, and it looks like the option isn't there, is the old "Roll Tool" option, with all surfaces, between surfaces, or automatically.

The toolpaths I used (raster, scallop and radial) all rolled the tool over the surface edge, which is not what I wanted. And if a containment boundary is used, it would only trim the toolpath to the boundary, which isn't of any use because there is considerable slope on part of the surfaces.

Has anyone struck this? To me, without this control, these toolpaths aren't much use.

The short answer is no, there is not a switch like that in these paths.

You can however get what you need but you'll likely end up using a combination of contaminant boundary, setting depths, using check surfaces.

Without geometry, tough to give you anymore of a hint than that.

JP answered it.

Couple more tips

All I use are these paths. One thing I find helpful is to set your containment's(cut parameters) to Center

Project the outer edges of your component up for your containment boundary (helps to a void making check surfaces

which can be complicated to create)

and all your Leads(linking parameters) to '0'( because there is no switch to turn off the Lead ins/outs), either.

Ok, well that pretty much answers it. I have to be honest, something as significant as that (at least to me) being left out, means that it actually requires more work, and more geometry, to provide a solution. And then that solution wont exsctly be accurate?

The reason I asked this, is because I was showing a customer these toolpaths, and they asked "how do you stop that rolling". Unfortunately, the amount of hoops that had to be jumped through, made it look pretty lame, compared to the standard surface toolpaths. For me personally, the surface edge option is a pretty big feature that has been omitted.

On a surface, or surfaces, with varying slopes on the boundaries, that would require constructing multiple check surfaces, and containment boundaries. Previously, selecting "only between surfaces" would have given me exactly what was required, with no containment boundaries, and no check surfaces.

Newbeeee, I would tend to agree. An enhancement request (or more to the point, a "feature reinstatement request" :) might be called for.

They can be made to work well but there is definitely some black magic involved. On one part I had to select 20 different containment boundaries to eliminate the rolling over corners. It was a real waste of time and should be much easier to do. I would say I use the HST toolpaths about 50% of the time when I am surfacing.

They can be made to work well but there is definitely some black magic involved. On one part I had to select 20 different containment boundaries to eliminate the rolling over corners. It was a real waste of time and should be much easier to do. I would say I use the HST toolpaths about 50% of the time when I am surfacing.

My point exactly. 20 different containment boundaries? That to me, is counterproductive. I really can't believe that something Mastercam has done so well, for ao long, has been removed :(

That to me, is counterproductive. I really can't believe that something Mastercam has done so well, for ao long, has been removed

"Technically" speaking, it has not been removed.

This ability has never been part of this suite of tools.

Not saying it couldn't use the ability, just saying it hasn't been removed since it was never available there.

While the new Dynamic paths are all of CNC creation, IIRC, there original Roughing and Finishing toolpaths in the suite were a creation from a different company. Which may explain why they behave differently than other surfacing paths

"Technically" speaking, it has not been removed.

This ability has never been part of this suite of tools.

Not saying it couldn't use the ability, just saying it hasn't been removed since it was never available there.

While the new Dynamic paths are all of CNC creation, IIRC, there original Roughing and Finishing toolpaths in the suite were a creation from a different company. Which may explain why they behave differently than other surfacing paths

You're right John, it was never available there. I guess because I rely on that feature a lot of the time, I expected it to be in there. I'll put in an enhancement request and see how it goes :)

• 6 years later...

The old Surface Finish Parallel still exists, it just isn't in the ribbon bar. But if you go to Customize, you will find the old tool path in the list of commands not included (left hand side); i created a new tab (old toolpaths) and added it to it. No rolling over edges!

1 minute ago, dullfig said:

The old Surface Finish Parallel still exists, it just isn't in the ribbon bar. But if you go to Customize, you will find the old tool path in the list of commands not included (left hand side); i created a new tab (old toolpaths) and added it to it. No rolling over edges!

Hopefully he didn't wait 6 years for the answer :D

Might want to watch you post dates, lol