Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Advanced 5X question

gcode

I've uploaded a file the the X5 folder in the FTP site

filename = swarf.mcx-5

The first toolpath is a legacy 5X swarf taking multiple depth cuts

The second cut is my attempt to replicate it with an advance 5X toolpath.

It looks OK, but if you backplot and watch carefully you'll see its offest from the surface

by quite a bit.

Can anybody tell me what I need to do to make this toolpath work??

It's the combination of collision control and depth cuts.

If the tilt angle is just slightly off because of the collision control then your depth cuts will multiply this error on every new depth as they are offset axial.

If you use the normal stepover on the cut pattern side the tool will touch the surface in all levels.

I generally use morgh between to curves. add a curve to the top of the surface. Then use margins to get the depth cuts you want. Swarf seems very limited when the curves get a little complex, Plus you get much better tool axis control using limits.

Actually, check the cutter offset value on the backplot options screen. X5 automatically adds half the cutter diameter and it shows the tool off the surface you are trying to cut. Its just a visual issue, the actual nc code is correct, by setting the value back to 0 it should display correctly.