Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Teaching Fixture Offsets

Trevor Bailey

This is a bit O/T, but I am ready to stick my head under my spindle and let 'er rip!!!!

I have been trying to explain to the owner of my company as to how and why I use fixture offsets. This guy just does not get it. He does not understand why a person simply can not draw a part in MC and then program it and then send it to the machine without even caring as to WHERE the part is located on the screen. This sounds outrageous, but I am having to deal with this now!!!!

My question to the forum members is, do any of you have any documentation that explains thoroughly as to how/why/when/where a machinist needs to use fixture offsets?

I am at my wits end ------ PPPLLLEEEAAASSSEEE HELP!!!!!!!

Take him out to the machine, insert a program, clear all the offsets, and let her rip... if he doesn't see the logic, ask him to place the parts on the machine where he wants them, then ask him how the machine will know where the part is.

Then ask him for a letter of recomendation for you interview next week... eek.gif

'Rekd teh Keep it stupid, simple

Here is some basic CNC 101 in writting for work and tool offsets;;;

All forms of compensation work with offsets. You can think of CNC offsets as like memories on an electronic calculator. If your calculator has memories, you know you can store a constant value into each memory for use during a calculation. This keeps you from having to enter the number over and over again with redundant calculations.

Like the memories of an electronic calculator, offsets in the CNC control are storage locations into which numerical values can be placed. Just as the value within the memory of a calculator has no meaning until referenced by its user within a calculation, neither does the value within an offset of the CNC control have any meaning until it is referenced by a CNC program.

From the marksman analogy, you can think of the values stored in CNC offsets as like the amount of adjustment required on the sight of the rifle necessary to compensate for the distance to the target. Keep in mind that the rifle only needed adjustment for one purpose, to adjust for the distance to the target. With most CNC machine tools, there is a need for at least one offset per tool.

Trev,

Explain to him that it is just like "strumming on the old banjo"

You don't just put your fingers "anywhere" on that beautiful rosewood fret board and expect it to sound like music. smile.gif

You need to place your fingers in specific spots to form what is known to musicians as "chords". wink.gif

Just write your programs completely in machine coordinates. The only downside is that the setup person will have to locate thier fixtures/vises/whatever in the exact same position every time. eek.gif At least you won't have to worry about them making more than one setup on a machine at a time. biggrin.gif

quote:

I have been trying to explain to the owner of my company as to how and why I use fixture offsets. This guy just does not get it. He does not understand why a person simply can not draw a part in MC and then program it and then send it to the machine without even caring as to WHERE the part is located on the screen. This sounds outrageous, but I am having to deal with this now!!!!

My question to the forum members is, do any of you have any documentation that explains thoroughly as to how/why/when/where a machinist needs to use fixture offsets?

I simply tell my boss "OK"

And usually he's off on his way.