Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Importing surfaces into V9.1

Thad

We had some surface files sent to us today as IGES files. With V9 SP1, we have had no problems importing them. When we import them with V9.1, no surfaces come in. I turn on shading and nothing is shaded. Screen, Statistics shows no surfaces. If I import the same IGES file into V9 SP1, the shading works and Screen, Statistics shows 2 surfaces.

Our first thought was that V9.1 IGES converter wasn't working properly because we can see surfaces in MC9 files, but not imported IGES files. I applied all pathces, including igesin.exe a week ago. Upon further investigation, I was able to import other IGES surface files with no problem. So now, I've narrowed it down to these particular IGES files as the problem. I scanned the IGES files when bringing them in and here are the results.

Scanned with V9.1:

File Information:

Sending CAD system = SofTech - IGES/PDB - pdb2iges: platform Version 6.1

Units = INCH

Tolerance = 0.0001;

FLX1121-2 D24 RING CAPS.IGS contains:

94 Circular Arc (Type 100) entities (*)

34 Composite Curve (Type 102) entities (*)

22 Copious Data (All Forms) (Type 106) entities (*)

2 Plane (Type 108) entities (*)

94 Line (Type 110) entities (*)

104 Transformation Matrix (Type 124) entities (*)

4 Rational B-Spline Curve (Type 126) entities (*)

1 Drawing (Type 404) entity

1 View (Type 410) entity

* = supported by Mastercam

Scanned with V9 SP1:

File Information:

Sending CAD system = SofTech - IGES/PDB - pdb2iges: platform Version 6.1

Units = INCH

Tolerance = 0.0001;

FLX1121-2 D24 RING CAPS.IGS contains:

94 Circular Arc (Type 100) entities (*)

34 Composite Curve (Type 102) entities (*)

22 Copious Data (All Forms) (Type 106) entities (*)

2 Plane (Type 108) entities (*)

94 Line (Type 110) entities (*)

104 Transformation Matrix (Type 124) entities (*)

4 Rational B-Spline Curve (Type 126) entities (*)

1 Drawing (Type 404) entity

1 View (Type 410) entity

* = supported by Mastercam

Can anyone make heads or tails out of this? According to both scans, the files contain NO surfaces. According to Sreen, Statistics, they contain surfaces in V9 SP1. The only thing that I can think of is that these files were created with SofTech software (Prospector?). We've never received IGES surface files created with that software before. Usually, our files come from Ideas, Mechanical Desktop/Autocad, or UG. I'm at a loss and open for any suggestions. confused.gif

Thad

Good point Gcode. Sometimes from older rev's of the iges translator from other softwares, this could be the problem. I used to get this a lot from ProE a few years back. Just because you have the latest rev of the iges translator from MC, does not mean that the sending party has it.

I put the file on the FTP. It's pretty small. It's in the V9 folder called thad_surfaces.igs if anyway wants a look.

Edited to change the extension to .igs.

Thad

[ 05-21-2003, 10:06 PM: Message edited by: thad ]

DOH! I already put it up. I mistakenly called it an MC9 file in my last post. It was an IGES all along. I guess it doesn't belong in the MC9 folder then either. Sorry Jay. redface.gif

Yeah, it's a real beast Trevor. I challenge ANYONE on this board who thinks their programming skills are up to snuff to try programming this file. I just dare you! rolleyes.gif

Thad

[ 05-21-2003, 10:06 PM: Message edited by: thad ]

The surfaces in question are the Plane (Type 108) entities (*). I' guessing that you did not have the igesin.dll dated 3/31/03 because it states.

(03/31/03) - This self-extracting zip file corrects issues reading IGES 114s (Parametric surfaces) and 108s (bounded planes). It also addresses some issues with Notes and Dimensions. Download and execute this file. It will extract one file into your Mcam9Apps directory.

There is the answer there, 108s (bounded planes)

HTH

Check the options in the masking if it says import unbounded planes as lines uncheck it.

I can duplicate this by renaming my igesin.dll and it does not import the planes. So I am positive that you are not using the .dll. Check your data paths.

[ 05-21-2003, 10:14 PM: Message edited by: Allan ]

Call off the search!

Boy do I feel like an f-ing idiot. I executed the patches alright. If anyone read my other thread on applying patches, you'll see what I did wrong. Let's just say that I have a lot of empty folders to delete.....on 4 computers!

I extracted the patch to the correct directory and it works. Thanks to all who replied.

Thad

Now wait I put the file in the aps Dir I did not download the hole Add-ins with patchs put the patchs them selfs.

Now I want to know What I am doing wrong.

I am going to check this again .

Jay the frustrated old man now been a long day,but must have the answer before I can watch American Idol.

quote:

Ok I put the drink down and now I have it working the DLL never made it to the apps but a second aps foler under apps.

That's exactly what happened to me Jay. Well, all except the drink part. biggrin.gif

Thad