Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Do certain video cards make verify faster?

Darin

Is it possible to tweak the settings on the video card itself? I inherited a computer that the previous programmer had set up to run gibbs, which I had switched over to X5 and even with its beefed up graphic card I have tonnes of problems, for example whenever I reverse a chain the arrrow disappears and selecting things is hit or miss at best. It seems more of a refresh rate on the video card itself because if I pan I can usually get the arrow to reappear. Should I be going in and tinkering with the settings or am I stuck programming blind?

If you don't know what you're doing, then I would highly suggest leaving the card alone.

EVGA has a tool for their cards called Precision, and it will let you overclock it, manually adjust the fan speeds etc...

I use it because I didn't like the stock fan settings, it seemed to stay at 40% until the card got really hot and then it gradually sped up.

Now I just run my fan at a constant 65% and it never heats up, and I put it to the test on some really graphically intense games.

The first thing you want to check are Mastercam Settings

Settings

System Config

Screen

Make sure "Open GL" is checked

and

"Disable Front Buffer" is checked

If you change either of these settings you'll need to restart Mastercam to enable the change

For those of you running the GTX 460 card - are any of you using it for Solidworks? I had to dump my 9800 GTX after I loaded up and starting using Solidworks. The desktop would show through when the toopath paarmeter pages would open. Also lots of grahics lock ups. Switched to Quadro FX 580 and has been working fine ever since.

• 3 months later...

I think it's far better to just tweak your display settings than to drop several hundred or thousands on a super video card.

Why spend so much to get a 50% improvement when you can get a 1,000%+ improvement by simply tweaking your display settings. Just type in a value larger than 1 into moves/refresh on verify. A value of 2 will make it seem like your video card is 2X faster since it only works 1/2 as much. That just saved a few thousand bucks..

I generally max it out at 10,000 when verifying parts that use small tools (require stl tolerance of .001) and use fine step overs.

You can also use the turbo button for fast verify in 3X but this will not give you the same quality.

Also, we do not recommend any type of ATI card, even the FireGL. Gamer Nvida cards are ok if you just use Mastercam, if you have any other CAD software installed, they might not be 100% compatible (for example real view in Solidworks). We only recommend Nvidia Quadro FX cards.

post-8657-0-93007700-1315833869_thumb.jpg

Also remember to filter your toolpath. If your toolpath is 5X smaller, then it will verify that much faster! This make a huge difference when you have a parallel toolpaths or flat toolpaths that can easily be reduced in size by replacing several linear segments with arcs. As a side bonus it will most likely run faster on the CNC machine if it is being data starved in its cut.