Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

4th axis help

DavidB

Hi guys I'm trying to machine this feature on a Vertical machining centre with a 4th axis.

If I use 4th axis toolpath its OK for the finish pass, I can not see where you can add deepth of cuts so how should I rough it fist.

I tried a surface parallel pass with Y-axis substitute but it asks for a roll diameter. I'm a bit lost here because the diameter is always changing.

I can not use a 5-axis toolpath and output to 4 axis because my post will not allow me to use any 5-axis toolpaths.

Any ideas how I can rough this feature out?

4th-axisrough.jpg

Do you mean the post won't output 4-axis or your SIM won't let you use multiaxis?

I use multiaxis toolpaths quite often and set to 4-axis output for my little TM-2 3-axis mill that has a 4th mounted to the table.

I would think that would work for your part also.

Do you mean the post won't output 4-axis or your SIM won't let you use multiaxis?

I use multiaxis toolpaths quite often and set to 4-axis output for my little TM-2 3-axis mill that has a 4th mounted to the table.

I would think that would work for your part also.

MR Wizzard,

Can you attach example file , please?

Hi guys I have a full dealer sim licence

Mastercam X Mill Level 3

Mastercam X Lathe Level 1

Mastercam X Wire Level 2

Mastercam X Design

Mastercam X Solids

Mastercam X Router Pro

Mastercam X Art

Mastercam X for SolidWorks

Mastercam X FiveAxis

I had a reply back from the post developer its an issue with the post I'm using that will not allow me to use Multi axis toolpaths not my seat of Mastercam.

The Advanced Multiaxis doesn’t give us the require parameters to accurately license for 4-axis.

In this case, we have to open up to 5-axis.

Thanks guys

How do you get the 4th axis toolpath to start at the left and move to the right.

I tried everything but it always starts on the right side of the surfaces X+ and moves in the X- direction.

I want to move the tool in the X+ direction

David,

Not certain what post your developer started with but all the Mcam 4axis posts and MpMaster will output for simultaneous 4axis positioning.

I use the multiaxis toolpaths to output simultaneous 4axis code frequently.

"Posted Today, 02:40 AM"

Dude, couldn't you sleep? :blink:

David,

Not certain what post your developer started with but all the Mcam 4axis posts and MpMaster will output for simultaneous 4axis positioning.

I use the multiaxis toolpaths to output simultaneous 4axis code frequently.

What I want to know now is can your posts use the "Advanced Multiaxis" Toolpathgs in 4-axis?

Not the old style multi axis toolpaths!

OK i'll take a look another post.

With the Multiaxis, Rotary 4 axis toolpath how can I get the toolpath to start on the LH side and work to the right (X+) direction.

I'd tried everthing and the toolpath always wants to start at the RH side side and work to the Left (X-) direction.

Thanks Dave

The rotary 4x is a tough beast to control, that's why I prefer to use the multiaxis toolpaths.

For instance: if I were using morph between curves I can use the curves to control the direction of the toolpath. The toolpath will cut the surface from the first curve to the second. I also have much more control over the tool axis.

Sorry for the delay. I was on a whirlwind 4 day vacation. :D

Western PA just north of Pittsburgh to Gettysburg to Colonial Williamsburg to Virginia Beach to back home! Whooo Hoooo! Had a blast! B)

So I've attached a zip-to-go of the quicky sample. It's a Multi-axis morph between surfaces locked on 4-axis output with tilt through lines control and depth cuts. I'm not sure if this will exactly work for you job. I just went off the picture posted and created something that looks similar.

You would definitely need to tweak it for a your needs, but it should give an idea of what you're trying to do, i think. The direction of roughing is dependent on the order of surface selection (first surface & second surface). Take a look and let me know if you have any questions. I'll try to help.

Hope it helps!

Quick question: What version of Mastercam are you on? It looks like, on the previous page, you are on X.

I am currently on X5 MU1, so I may be leading you down a road your current version will not be able to work with. I can't remember the differences from X to current.