Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

new to surface machining

beagle millman

we are upgrading from mill 8.1 level 1 to mill 9.1 level 3. I will have to learn on the job until a class is available. have been looking at the demo cd and it seems overwhelming to me right now. will be doing toolpaths and machining on 3 axis vmc from customer data. there are a lot of boxes to check,uncheck or enter data into when creating a toolpath. which ones are the most important? just trying to minimize the amount of information I have to focus on while trying to learn and make good parts. any steps, rules, hints or procedures would be greatly appreciated.

thanks, beagle millman confused.gif

Welcome to the board.

I'm not sure if anyone will be able to give you any general rules or tips. Every situation is different from the last one. Come here with your questions and read all you can and you'll learn a lot. I know I have. This is a great place to get your questions answered. Hope you stick around.

Where are you at in Michigan?

Thad

Go to the sample files provided by CNC. There is a section for 3d machining. Look at the titles of each, look at the part, and then look at the tool path. See how they have their settings. See how the have selected their geometry. You can learn much by looking at these files. Good luck.

2d & 3d are two different worlds. With that said, you will need to take a step back from the computer when you feel that your frustration level is going to blow your head off. That will be your best advice at this point. If you have pretty good common sense, 3d machining will not be that difficult. Use the on-line help. as you are going thru the different menu's. That will be a great aid.

Some people, as myself, find that 3d stuff is easier than 2d. It all depends on the nature of the person I guess.

The last thing, use the forum wink.gif .

Good luck,

As a fellow newbie to 3D machining, I relied heavily on the tutorial books from In House Solutions (hint, hint) as well as the excellent work of Charles Davis in the form of the Mastercam Programming Handbook, volume 2.

This forum is also an invaluable resource.

Beagle millman,

I felt the same way just a few months ago about surface machining. I picked up the Volume II handbook from San-Diego Cad-Cam. I read the book and the transition from 2D to 3D was not really as difficult as you are thinking it is right now. Have been making some pretty cool parts since learning surface toolpath's. Get you a copy, read, read, read and do it.

I would suggest that you ask your employer for a design seat that you can take home and run. You can use the demo to run toolpaths. Design and save file. Open file in demo and toolpath away. Mastercam takes time to learn thoroughly. It's a fun program to run, I've found- which helps in the learning process.