Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Squaring up block

I know this is a very basic question, But it is to end a debate with a co-worker. If somebody would, could ya explain the basic procedure to square up a block in a mill. Just a basic square block of aluminum lets say, and in a vise. THe correct proper way. Do appreciate it. Thanks!!

Yep that link shows the best way. Some may have other ways, but this is a tried and true method.

Cut a face, put that face against the back jaw, use a dowel pin against the moveable jaw to make sure the part gets clamped flat against the back jaw.

Cut.

Flip.

Cut

Flip.

Done.

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

OR

You get oversized stock, and run the endmill around the entire part, flip it, and facemill to thickness.

THIS is the quickest way :lol:

Amen to that. Cut, flip, cut, flip, yadda, yadda, yadda... waddya all usin'??? BRIDGEPORTS????? :headscratch:

I have not done it that way since I moved over to CNC's. Always seemed like both an extra step AND an unnecessary one.

I've used the method of getting oversized stock. Works well for smaller pieces. The only trouble I have is when I need to square a part that is 6 x 6 x 6. A six inch long endmill doesn't work out too hot.

For parts like that, I would use a 1/2" endmill and make a pass around the square about a 1/2" deep or so, keeping the square oversize... facemill the top, then stand the part up while resting one of the machined edges on a small dowel pin...facemill....rotate,facemill,rotate, repeat.

Unless you have access to a horizontal,(I don't)

well....what if you have a part that is 60 X 60 X 60 and 15000 lbs? The basic theory still works, cut & flip...tho I can tell ya, flipping a 15000lb forging is a royal PITA. In these situations we use a really big blanchard grinder and get 2 sides parallel. Then, off to the horizontal boring mill with a "B" axis to hit the other 4 sides.

Come to think about it....that actually scales down very well. If you are fortunate enough to be able to make 2 sides parallel....the other 4 come in very easily...no matter the stock size.

• 1 month later...

when you get to the side, just use a endmill about .500 down. skim both ends. then stand it up on a small dowel or ejector pin on the sidemilled surface. then face cut the ends finished.

there are other ways like use a the skim flip turn rotate method, but that is hard to explain in text,