Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

old school vs new school milling

which is better for the wear of the machine(harder on the machine)? Is it really hard on the machine having it use the new high feed trochoidal milling tool paths always throwing the weight of the machine onto the ballscrews or better to be loaded and taking a heavy cut at a slower feedrate?

Well you don't have the load on the ball screws and servos in Dynamic cutting that you have in conventional milling.

You CAN run it too fast for your machine, but even if you slow it down, you're still removing more material faster than conventional high load milling, in most cases.

And you don't have all of that load on the spindle either, which is always a good thing.

As said above, more parts out the door faster, which most bosses are always looking for.

;)

In a shop like mine. How fast you make the part isn't that important, but trying to save cutters does have some major value to it. Just changing up my programming style to dynamic milling, my cutters are lasting so much longer than without. I took that Modern Art of Milling class from Sandvik and next thing you know my parts are coming out better and spending less on cutters. In my mind all good things.

We are running three mills that are possible to use high feed programming...a haas vf5 , mazak 700D and mazak variaxis 730 5x. How fast is too fast. We had mastercam training yesterday where the guy used peel mill and dynamic core 250 feed with 500 back. All with 1/2 em.

In a shop like mine. How fast you make the part isn't that important, but trying to save cutters does have some major value to it. Just changing up my programming style to dynamic milling, my cutters are lasting so much longer than without. I took that Modern Art of Milling class from Sandvik and next thing you know my parts are coming out better and spending less on cutters. In my mind all good things.

Did you say a Modern Art of Milling class? Two sandvik reps came to my university last year and did a pretty intensive demo on the modern art of milling but if they offer some kind of class that would be even better. Am I understanding you correctly?

Too bad they don't have anything coming up in Minnesota. Looks like a good class.

Ben, we are working on getting a date set up with Sandvik to hold the class at our facility. We are shooting for early next year. We have a Mastercam/Iscar/Okuma high efficiency machining seminar scheduled for Sept 8.