Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Inconel 718 steel

We are going to be machining on Inconel 718 steel for the first time. Can anybody help me out with what Cutters/Wire and any other tools that work best. Also experiences working with it in a annealed or hardened state. I specifically need to know if anybody has wire cut this material and what works best. Thanks!

Check out this link. HTH

^^^

EXAMPLE: Slotting with a 1/2" end mill

Solid carbide (3 flute)

SFM: 100

CPT: .001

Axial DOC: .125

Metal Removal Rate per Minute

Carbide = .143

EXCEL Cobalt Rougher (4 flute)

SFM: 25

CPT: .003

Axial DOC: .500

Metal Removal Rate per Minute

EXCEL = . 575

EXCEL Tool Life can be 3 to 10 times longer

So doing the calculations..

The Carbide endmill has a chip load rec of 0.001 ipt while the EXCEL Cobalt has 3X the FPT (0.003) AND a 0.575 in^3/min MRR (compared to the Carbide with only 0.143 in^3/min)

The DOC only 0.125" (for the 3 flute carbide), but 0.5" for the 4 flute EXCEL.

The speed is 764 RPM for the Carbide, but a mere 191 RPM for the EXCEL. (Feedrate the same for both at 2.292 ipm)

So... the EXCEL uses a much slower speed but cuts 4X deeper (hogging out much more material). It is the superior choice...

High speed machining Inconel is awesome. I've got a couple videos doing it. How about 18,000 rpm 315ipm at .04 doc & .6 woc for a 25mm 3-flute button cutter!! I ended up getting the best tool life at 18000rpm & 250ipm .04 doc. There isn't too much information out there about how to do it though. Look through this site for "Inconel" & you should find a lot of info.

• 3 weeks later...