Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

O/T Muscle Cars

Noel

135 down a (long) offramp up near my shop (Centennial Drive from 128N, Brendan) in my '01 Z28. Magazine tests say the car has 155+ top end and I think they're right but with 2 kids I can't afford to get arrested and the ramp ain't long enough.

145 on my buddy's ZX10 back when I was stupid enough to think I was good enough on the bike to hold it wide open (I wasn't, hence the low MPH number)

C

[ 06-11-2003, 07:58 AM: Message edited by: chris m ]

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Never had a muscle car or a motorcycle. When I was 16, I bought a '67 MGB roadster, which I still have 24 years later. I've been through every part of that car more times than I'd like to admit. Now you guys with your big V8s and Superbikes may not believe the kinds of unholy speeds that this MG is capable of. You will be shocked, and your jaws will drop in disbelief. But I swear to you that I have actually pushed that thing to a solid 100 mph! Actually, though, the car is a blast because you can drive it absolutely flat-out without breaking the law.

The fastest I've ever gone in a car was in a '71 Corvette roadster with a heavily massaged 454 that had been dyno'd at a true 500hp. It was about 3am, and I was riding with my buddy Mike, who lost his right arm in an accident (bought the car with insurance money). I asked him casually "So how fast is this thing, anyway?" We had just turned onto a wide straightaway (35mph zone), and from a rolling start at about 10mph, he punched it, and I was pasted into the seat. The streetlights blurred, like the 'jump to light speed' in Star Wars. Twice Mike let go of the wheel to reach over and manually-shift the tranny with his left arm. In less than a block's distance (under 1/4 mile) I glanced at the speedo and saw it climb past 120. Mike hit the brakes and quickly brought it back down to 35. I don't know what it could hit at the top end, but at 120 it felt like it was just getting started.

quote:

Did you fall?

Not that time, thank Christ

Got dumped off a few dirtbikes in my time, even high-sided off a moped as a kid...

Chris teh maybe 4 wheels are better for me

/edit

BTW Chad, really nice looking car! Good to see Ohio is still as flat as I remember it

/edit

[ 06-11-2003, 12:59 PM: Message edited by: chris m ]

Hi all,

I'm an infrequent poster, but had to chime in smile.gifsmile.gif

I grew up under the influence...

under the influence of growing up a 1/2 mile from Mr. Norms Grand Spaulding Dodge in Chicago, one of the premier hot spots in the country for Mopar muscle cars in the 60's and 70's. My older brother's friends owned a '71 Hemi Charger, a '70 SuperBird 440 Six-Pack, a Dodge Demon with a Mr. Norms dealer installed 340 Six-Pack (extremely rare and collectable!), and a friend with a '69 Olds Cutlass with a really hot Rocket 350 (he rebuilt his 350 in his bedroom in the 3rd floor apartment he and his mom lived in. True story!)

All of this infuenced me to buy in order: a '69 Dodge Charger with a built 383 Magnum, a '70 Plymouth Barracuda (I blew the original 318 racing a Camaro down I-55, so I threw in a 360,) and a '71 Dodge Challenger. The Challenger was a nice car -- Plum Crazy Purple, 340 SlapStick Automatic, 15' Ralley wheels, Hemi style Shaker Hood, black "Elastomatic?" bumpers, all stock. I sold it right before the muscle car "craze" hit in the early 80's for $2100. If I would have kept it a few years longer, I would have been able to triple or quadriple my selling price easy.

During this time, I wanted to piece together a 426 Hemi. I started by buying a nice set of heads, but before I could go farther, I met my bride to be. I eventually sold the heads to buy her engagement ring. Do you know what her birthday is? April 26th -- 426! Another true story.

Now days, I too have been snake-bit by the Factory Five Roadster. As soon as I buy my wife her house, she says I can go for it -- I mean, I told her I'm going for it wink.gif

The beat goes on...

Chris

I would love to get Factory Five on the Mastercam bandwagon!! The only problem is, they use (gasp) Pro-e for thier 3D work and (double, triple gasp) Autocrap for their 2d stuff for laser.

Chris, why don't you go down there and show them the light??

cheers.gif