Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Nitronic 40

I have some parts I did in the past, but we ended up turning the material off the faces. Parts are about 40" X 40" and we have to take a bit more than 1" off the face(s). I had a Sandvik rep in here with a couple face mills and maybe 4 different grades of inserts... Nothing remotely efficient came out of that... it worked, but slow as $^&$ and the inserts got eaten by the dozens...

Our machines are Daewoo ACE's (horizontals) with (i think) 30 horsepower.

Turning the material off took about 12 :unsure: hrs/part ... we have 3 of them coming up in the next few months. The material is not hard at all, but EXTREMELY abrasive.

Any ideas on some heavy duty tooling that I can demolish :D this material with?

TIA

The inserts in the lathe didn't have that great of life, but they were big SNMG 644 IIRC. The DOC was a little more than .300 and his feed was up near .018 ipr.

The one thing that did work well for me was drilling with inserted drills, up to 2" dia, coolant thru, but it was nearly impossible to get the chips to break...

I also tried running the tools dry and that didn't seem to help.

I did some comparing 60 to 40,

40 has a bit less nickel, but more manganese and chromium...

The inserts (still have em all broken & beaten in my desk lol...) R300-2060M-MM and R300-2060M-PM <<< .750 buttons

it was a 4" face mill RA 300-102 R38 20M was the cutter.

Couldn't get more than 125" without trashing the edges....my WOC was like 3.75 and DOC was .1875

40" X 40" and we have to take a bit more than 1" off the face(s)

Thinking I need like a 10" facemill, I have 30 HP.... The part weighs close to 6K lbs..

I wish I could plunge it of, but I'm guessing the retracts with this material would kill the inserts real quick...

Need Mcam to be able to hop up and away from the material on the plunge retracts.... :angry:

You'll need more than 30hp to push a 10" facemill lol.

:D

Do you have any unobtainium I could coat em with?

Maybe I need some oil instead of coolant...

I am going to ask my boss if I can take a 5hr. field trip to the forging house in PA to steal some of their secrets B)

Talked to the guy at the forging house... says they run old 8" facemills dry with square TiN coated inserts, bit less than 100 SFM, and about 3-4 IPM... and it works like crap...:lol: . He asked that if I find anyting to let him know :lol::lol::lol::angry:.

The actual spec on the material is ASME SA-336, FMX-11, annealed... AKA **$*#*#^^*$%@&*$#(^@&*^$@#%

• 1 month later...

I cut Nitronic 50, Nitronic 50 High Strength, and Nitronic 60 quite often... Using that Sandvik R300 button cutter try using the S30-T grade.. Most of the Sandvik reps are just learning about it as it is very new.. Run about 325 SFM with about .008 chip load per tooth.. And as deep as your horsepower will allow.. NO, I repeat, NO coolant... The thermal shock is what is killing your inserts..

I've also had a lot of luck with Walters facemills with the insert on 45 deg.. Also, NO coolant..

The gold ones... I've still got the used ones in my desk... (3/4" i.c.) (had a 4" face mill on trial...)

45 min!!!!!! 600SFM!!!!!!!!!

I couldn't get more than ~10 mins. in the cut before they were toast (wet or dry)... and my sfm was only ~100 :blink: (did try higher, maybe up to 400) The abrasion wear was/is (lookin at em now) horrible, looks like someone held em up to a belt sander....

IIRC my W.O.C. was like 85% and D.O.C. 1/8 - 3/16"