Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Drilling in increments

Georgi Baltov

In Mastercam X2 is there a way to drill in z increments. Basically if my final depth is 1" I want the drilling operation to reach that depth in increments on .25". Drill .25" then retract than go back and drill to .5" depth and so on till it reaches the final depth. The reason I want it to do that is to get rid of drilled material which will probably break the drill.

Thank you

JP, that is great thanks

also, is there a way to modify the peck drill cycle so it could peck the first 2 o 3 peck (choose how many) at

a slow feed then resume at a higher speed? A few yrs ago I recall some hoping that is

may be achievable in a MC cycle as canned enhancement. but I would edit the drill

path code to do it if someone can come up with a way of doing it.

In Mastercam X2 is there a way to drill in z increments. Basically if my final depth is 1" I want the drilling operation to reach that depth in increments on .25". Drill .25" then retract than go back and drill to .5" depth and so on till it reaches the final depth. The reason I want it to do that is to get rid of drilled material which will probably break the drill.

Thank you

I beleive this would be standard Peck Drilling Cylce, G83 Z-1. R0+.25 Q.25 P.02, this woudl drill at .25 increments or basically 5 pecks with the retract distance.

This is also dependent upon your machine control and it's canned cycles parameters and what it will do. Other than maybe long coding things or getting into some macros and variables.

In fanuc controls on the machines I've run there is a parameter set for the retract return that can be tweeked also if you want to enhance things.

There's no machine cycle for it so......

Something like this custom drill cycle I did a few years back might work

Linky

There is a cycle for that, indeed there is. Like mentioned above already its a basic G83.

G83z-1.r.25q.25

I use this but my machine has parameters of what amount I want to retract back to. For instance if I want to come back into the hole .02 above the last peck, I can change the parameter in the machine.. Its set right now for .05. That's what I use to peck.