Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Peel Mill Help

MotorCityMinion

I did a search and could not find any info on Peel mill and the micro lift settings in X4.

.73w x 24. long slot. 3/8 emill. 2d peel mill in 6061 @.56 Axial DOC. on a Haas. I'm driving 2 chains with no rough offset, leaving .01 on walls and floors, .056 Step over. I'm trying to use micro lift and have tried .01 and .02 ramp height with numerous variables in the ramp length setting and IT WILL NOT LIFT UP. I know I could get away with out the micro lift but at a 500 IPM backfeed, I'd rather not have the tool scraping across the floor. (It's a old and sloppy Haas)

What am I doing wrong here? Should I be driving a single center chain with a rough offset?

How do you guys set the ramp length, percentage of tool dia?, percentage of slot width? Percentage of step over? Is there a general rule of thumb for this?

There are other tool paths that uses trochoidal motion that may be better suited for this but I'd really like to get a hold of this one.

Remember, it's X4 and I don't have the newer micro lift options.

Found it. Ramp length was too large. Still curios about setting this up though. Any thoughts?

I believe it's a combination of factors. Slot width and rounding radius determine the actual amount of room left over to play with. A .73 wide slot minus .15 x 2 (the 40% percent RR I was using), left me with .43 to work with. Subtract the .375 e mill and I only have .055 to work with. Reducing the rounding radius or using a smaller tool dia. will allow for a longer ramp length, but what's an acceptable length?

BUMP

Grey, thanks for your response.

.50 x 2 = 1.

1 x 1 = 1

4-3 = 1

Square root of 1 = 1.

Out of 211 views as of this moment, I get 1, that's ONE reply. I've watched some high profile and respected members of this forum viewing this post in real time, not say $h1T. Do they owe me anything? No. Have I participated in other inquiries? Yes, over and above, as have others.

It seems that more folks would rather hang out in the OT forum and debate politics, religion, and what tunes you are listening to right now than discuss Mastercam experiences and share them. WTF?

I've followed the X6 debut and know that it's less than desirable, and that priorities and concerns may be focused on this issue at the moment. Perhaps I'm just viewed as an A-hole and no one wants to reply, IDK, I'll live with it.

I know, lets try another analytical experiment...

http://www.hsmworks.com/hsmxpress/

Lets see how inquiries are dealt with for this free version of a competitive product.

http://forum.hsmworks.com/index.php#2

Time will tell. Interesting at the least.

A little harsh there Motor..

If I had could have given you some help I would have.

Problem 1. I don't have X4 installed on any of the machines I run. It works fine in X6, but that does squat for you if you're

running X4.

Problem 2. I haven't used peel mill much so I really don't have any good advice.

I could have posted "works great in X6", but thats not much help

The simple truth is. I couldn't help you so I kept my mouth shut.

Re: HSMWorksExpress.. downloaded and installed but haven't had time to play

From your post it looked like you solved the problem and just wanted some extra insight so I'm sure a lot of people didn't read into it as needed immediate attention? and you're using X4 where a lot of people are on X5 or X6 - Looking at this, I know there are other people more versed in using peel mill so I, and others may have skipped replying it for that reason

Motor, I don't use peel mill much and my machines are huge & slow so I have never used microlift....

Found it. Ramp length was too large. Still curios about setting this up though. Any thoughts?

Sounded like you got it and since I am not familiar with the path, I really didn't have anything to say.

You might have had better luck if your advocate was Sam Adams, Jonnie always just kicks the s$it outta me (although he has made my screen look 3d a couple times) :D

Decrease your rounding radius as well as your lift amount. Using .002 is sufficient for lift. The toolpath works providing you enter values that make it possible. You are very restricted on the width of the slot so you have to reduce some of the values to get the desired results.

Carmen

Thanks guys. Sorry about the rant.

This path seemed to work better the faster I drove it. I hit 203 IPM at .76 deep and .045 step step over with a SGS emill at 7400 RPM on the Haas.

It was the biggest pile of fluffy chips this machine has ever seen developed in around 4 minutes.

Our Makino S56 is being relocated and was unavailable. With Heat shrink or hydraulic chucks present, 15k and over 330 IPM seems feasible.

Kieth, Sam was in the room as well. Hanging with friends in a Cigar bar, time flies and the drink flows fast and easy. Still paying for it.

Sorry to sound like a broken record, but check the database in my sig for some #'s.

What I like to do is skip the microlift but leave .010 on the floor (with usual peelmill 15-18% stepover). Copy the toolpath but now finish floor, and set stepover to like 40-50%.

Sometimes I'll just peelmill rough it (leavning the .010 on floor), then basic contour drive through the slot with a big cutter, one pass each wall. Even quicker.

I did a search and could not find any info on Peel mill and the micro lift settings in X4.

.73w x 24. long slot. 3/8 emill. 2d peel mill in 6061 @.56 Axial DOC. on a Haas. I'm driving 2 chains with no rough offset, leaving .01 on walls and floors, .056 Step over. I'm trying to use micro lift and have tried .01 and .02 ramp height with numerous variables in the ramp length setting and IT WILL NOT LIFT UP. I know I could get away with out the micro lift but at a 500 IPM backfeed, I'd rather not have the tool scraping across the floor. (It's a old and sloppy Haas)

What am I doing wrong here? Should I be driving a single center chain with a rough offset?

How do you guys set the ramp length, percentage of tool dia?, percentage of slot width? Percentage of step over? Is there a general rule of thumb for this?

There are other tool paths that uses trochoidal motion that may be better suited for this but I'd really like to get a hold of this one.

Remember, it's X4 and I don't have the newer micro lift options.

What you have to remember, especially in smaller slots is you need the room to perform the entire motion.

In a .73 slot with a .375 tool, you only have .1825 either side for a rounding radius, and that's simply too big, it takes up all of the available ramp room.

As a "loose" rule, when the tool is more the 50% the width of the slot, I will keep my Rounding Radius to 25% or less of the diameter of the tool. If your radius is big enough and your ramp distance long enough, there is no room for the radius AND the ramp. For a ramp move I generally keep them around .01 in distance.

Making sure your math works and all of the motion "fits" into the width of the slot is important.

JP, I played with it in back plot up to the point where relationships became apparent. It still worked great with no micro lift as a roughing routine in aluminum. The wider the slot, the greater the number of options. Finding that sweet spot for cutter sizes in narrow slots is going to take some trial and effort. Using too small a cutter and you lose the radial DOC advantage and start to see diminishing returns. Too big a cutter, and you lose smoothness in the micro lift, not that the Haas would ever move smoothly but I bet the Makino would. I'm looking forward to seeing what that sweet machine can do with this path.

Ample air or coolant is mandatory. The tool will recut and pinch the chips after a while and starts barking. I need more PSI.

Chris, I browse your data base about twice a month regardless of what tool paths I'm using. I may not be even programming a path at the moment, just studying the stats. Priceless information there, keep up the good work.

I also do not have a finite amount of cutters to work with and I treat the good stuff like gold so I take a powder puff approach to those numbers in the data base until the confidence builds up.