Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Stock model and custom tools

peon

For those of you using custom tools, I have just noticed that stock model MAY NOT represent a custom tool. I redefined this tool as a bull nose rather than a custom tool as an easy work around in this case.

STOCK_MODEL_CUSTOM_TOOL_.jpg

thanks peon for the heads-up! I use custom tools all of the time and am just starting to use X6 so I'll keep an eye out for it.

I saw this post and I thought I would try and break stock model by creating the ugliest tool I could think of, as you can see in the image. Stock model gave me exactly what I thought I should get. I even went as far as using the tool in a thread mill operation and it still worked.

After changing the tool geometry enough, I was able to make it fail, but Mastercam did give me a warning when I regenerated the stock model. See Image.

Peon, did you get a warning at all? What did you do to create your tool? I can not for the life me make a tool that 1) stock model will not recognize or 2) Not give me a warning.

P.S when I get some time I will try and put together some tips for using stock model. I think it will help with some of the confusion that is out there.

-Peace

post-730-0-35015400-1326830775_thumb.jpg

post-730-0-77218100-1326830780_thumb.jpg

I created an undefined custom tool with the geometry on a separate level. This is a tool and geometry that have been used in several hundred toolpaths without a problem in the toolpath, backplotting or verify, but the stock model displayed it incorrectly. Absolutely no warnings. Did you try using depth cuts to recreate the issue?

I created a new X6 file with a custom tool and reproduced the stock model issue that misrepresents the the actual stock removed. Again, it backplots and verifies correctly. I uploaded "CUTOM_TOOL_STOCK_MODEL.Z2G" into the "Mat_&_Tools_Libary" folder on the ftp server. Sorry for misspelling custom, but it was too late. :wallbash: I also sent the file to my reseller and qc. Keep in mind, this tool was created in X6 and in this particular file. I did not import the geometry from another file.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...