Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Slightly OT- Considering continuing my education

JMWorks

58 members have voted

1. 1. What Is The Highest Degree You Hold?

• High School/GED Only
    • A.A.S.
    • B.S.M.E.
    • B.S. or B.A. other than Mechanical Engineering
    • B.S.E.T. Engineering Technology Degree
    • Masters or PhD
  2. 2. Would You Go Back To School To Get a B.S. Degree?

3. 3. What Degree Would You Recommend?

For someone like me, that piece of paper isn't worth the pewp on it from wiping my arse with it

I'm glad that you respect the efforts and intelligence of those of us who are college-educated James.

I have a BS in Manufacturing Technology and I am more than halfway to my MBA because I want to be one of the guys in the meetings where all of the decisions are made, not the guy in the lunchroom b!tching about the guys in the meetings where all of the decisions are made. I went back to school at 38 years of age in order to get the MBA, and it sucks; do it now, while you're young and full of energy. Your career and life will be better for it.

C

• Like 1

I have high education 5 years in politechnical in former USSR, it was not waste of time

Education is always good but not to such extend as it can replace personal experience .

when passing exams to enter it my marks were so high that everyone told me what I WANT TO DO WITH THEM

in mech. engineering and metal cutting and this is sad .

It shows the relation people have to our trade .

5 these years were worth the effort sometimes this sheet of f. paper helped me but after

10 years as technology engineer in USSR and 20 years as setupist machinist, moldmaker and programmer in Israel

noone cares about my education .

But it helps you and general education never hurts.

I still learn every day in this trade you never stop to learn .

I learn from books ,internet and everyone I work with

EVEN THE GUY WITH NO EXPERIENCE AT ALL CAN SAY SOMETHING WORTH OF NOTICE .

I LEARN FROM EVERYONE and they learn from me too .

Funny thing but my army days taught me very precious thing too -

never to rush to do anything without thinking twice .

Too many of my friends tanksman were hurt or killed in exident iin peaceful time

because they were doing things without thinking .

I say that if you are in hurry take a rest ,get calm ,

smoke a cigarette and drink cup of coffee and after that

you`ll get the solution.

Works like charm but too much strong coffee and too many cigarettes .

And after work do not forget to drink a bit of whisky .

BR

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

I'm glad that you respect the efforts and intelligence of those of us who are college-educated James.

Look Chris,

For YOU it makes sense. For ME (if you use some of those College Courses and READ) it does not make sense, and will not make one bit of difference in my paycheck. I'm NOT about to sink $100k and a TON of time away from my family into something that will not gain me something financially, I'm just not. If at some point in the future I see that it may hold me back from what I want to do, and it makes sense I will do it, but until then I won't. It's a personal choice. I'm glad you want to be in those meetings where decisions are made. Those meethings need more guys that have been in the shop and understand what goes on there, but I'm already in quite a few of those meetings Chris. Like I said, at this point in my career, it does me no good to pursue a degree. Does that mean I don't take classes from time to time? No, of course not. Matter of fact, CalPoly Pomona is in my back yard and I've takes a few classes there. I didn't learn exactly what I wanted, but I learned some things that were worthwhile. I was even (after class so as to not show disrespect for his position) was able to show the Prof a few things. Hats off to him for listening.

I've got a BSET degree in Manufacturing Engineering Technology from MSU-Mankato, but in reality the major difference between the BSET degree an the BS in any other engineering (including mechanical) is that my degree wouldn't allow me to certify anything dealing with public safety. At my current position I'm essentially the guy that does just about everything. Between designing new products and fixtures, to programming our couple of machines, to running the machines, to doing pretty much anything that's asked of me.

I'm sure I could be making more with a BS instead of a BSET, but it's not always about what you make, but how you feel about what you're doing. Heck, I could move to Minneapolis/St. Paul and make $150k in a heartbeat, there's plenty of jobs there that I'm more than qualified for, but I simply don't want to move there, and enjoy my job now.

I would have gone for my BS in Mechanical engineering, but differential equations pretty much kicked my xxxx when I got to it. There was something about not having any numbers in math that just didn't make sense to me. Everything else in that program was pretty simple to me, but differential equations just didn't work.

In the end it's all about whether you think it's worth getting or not, whether it's a goal you'd feel comfortable trying to acheive, and no one else should be making up your mind for you.

I've got a BSET degree in Manufacturing Engineering Technology from MSU-Mankato, but in reality the major difference between the BSET degree an the BS in any other engineering (including mechanical) is that my degree wouldn't allow me to certify anything dealing with public safety. At my current position I'm essentially the guy that does just about everything. Between designing new products and fixtures, to programming our couple of machines, to running the machines, to doing pretty much anything that's asked of me.

I'm sure I could be making more with a BS instead of a BSET, but it's not always about what you make, but how you feel about what you're doing. Heck, I could move to Minneapolis/St. Paul and make $150k in a heartbeat, there's plenty of jobs there that I'm more than qualified for, but I simply don't want to move there, and enjoy my job now.

I would have gone for my BS in Mechanical engineering, but differential equations pretty much kicked my xxxx when I got to it. There was something about not having any numbers in math that just didn't make sense to me. Everything else in that program was pretty simple to me, but differential equations just didn't work.

In the end it's all about whether you think it's worth getting or not, whether it's a goal you'd feel comfortable trying to acheive, and no one else should be making up your mind for you.

Thanks Marshal, I appreciate the comparison of the two degree paths I am considering. Most comparisons I see seem to deal more in the R&D/Design world instead of real manufacturing, which in that respect the ME degree that is based more on theory than practice would be a better choice where I think here in manufacturing the practice based BSET degree would be just fine if not prefered in some cases. I am looking at online degree programs since it just doesn't make sense for me at this time to try to get to a campus full or even part time. The BSET program I seen has the best schedule for me and at a cost that is reasonable. The two ME degree programs I am looking at, one has a schedule and travel for labs that is do able, but the cost per credit is outrageous at roughly $868 for out of state tuition, the other requires more visits to campus but the cost is less than half of the other so that is one I am considering the most at this point, depending on how my credits transfer, may take some more classes at my local community college before officially enrolling if that is my final decision as to whether to go back or not. Have been given some leads over the past couple days that I am high on the list for some future openings in two companies that I have been looking at and think I could be happy there, just don't want to count my chickens before they hatch, and make sure my education and experience is stable to build my career upon.

A degree of some thing is just like black belt in karate. The belt is only use to hold the pant up, what you can do during the fight is a real story.

This is true but it also takes a lot of time, hard work and commitment to get there so that should be worth something.

This is true but it also takes a lot of time, hard work and commitment to get there so that should be worth something.

It should be, but it isn't always. Any time you look at going to college or university you have to accept that there is a possibility you'll acquire tens of thousands of dollars of student loan debt and spend years studying hard, only to end up as a button pusher for minimum wage. I'm not saying school is bad, just that it never guarantees a better job or higher pay.

It should be, but it isn't always. Any time you look at going to college or university you have to accept that there is a possibility you'll acquire tens of more than a hundred thousand dollars of student loan debt and spend years studying hard, only to end up as a button pusher for minimum wage housewife.

fissed for my wife thumbsup.gif

wait..... I pay the billcrybaby.gif

I used to work in prototype of military weapons at Texas Instruments in Dallas. We had a new supervisor come to my shift with a degree in AGGRICULTURE of all things. They cared about the fact that he graduated rather than his subject of study. On the other hand my boss and I have no degree yet he is a department head at a Div.1 University as I should be if/when I take his spot when he retires.

Here you can get quite a few engineering degrees & work in our shop using Mastercam & Catia , or in one of 3 other machine shops or many research labs like the wind tunnels or composites or friction stir welding lab, getting on the job experiance and meeting industry professionals who may someday hire you. Often I ask students who come into the shop to work on some project, if they want to be a machinist when they grow up. What do you think they say?

In the poll there is a significant amount of voters who would suggest a degree other than a B.S.M.E. or a B.S.E.T. I am curious what you would recommend and why, or is your recommendation no degree at all? Thanks for all the input, and opinions so far, I really appreciate the insight.

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

In the poll there is a significant amount of voters who would suggest a degree other than a B.S.M.E. or a B.S.E.T. I am curious what you would recommend and why, or is your recommendation no degree at all? Thanks for all the input, and opinions so far, I really appreciate the insight.

That is REALLY going to be determined by what you want to pursue. Do you want to design stuff or do you want to manage stuff? WHat kind of stuff you want to design/manage will have some bearing too.

Manufacturing Engineers and Mechanical Engineers are basically jacks of all trades. IF I were to ever pursue a degree, it would be in one of these two disciplines most likely because I gotta have variety :thumbup:

That is REALLY going to be determined by what you want to pursue. Do you want to design stuff or do you want to manage stuff?

+10,000 on this. I am a very smart guy: I had 1310 on my SAT, I had a 3.98GPA while obtaining my BA, I have a 3.85GPA in my MBA program, I have an innate sense about mechanical things and machining. I suck at complex mathematics (somebody mentioned Diff Eq...<shiver>) and I am not an imaginative, create something new out of thin air type of person. I know this, and this knowledge guides my decision making.

Who are you?

C

We had a new supervisor come to my shift with a degree in AGGRICULTURE of all things. They cared about the fact that he graduated rather than his subject of study.

That is not the first time I've heard that. If someone has a degree, it basically shows that they can learn at a higher level and finish what they started.

For me, I have a college diploma as a Mechanical Technician - Toolmaking, and a one year certificate in Machine Shop. While attending school I was working as an operator in several shops that made relatively complex parts with tight tolerances and using GDT. From there I took a lower paying job working for a reseller, where I gained tons of experience, before I moved on to work for a machine tool reseller. After a while, I went back to working in a shop where I spent the next few years working with several 7-9 axis multitasking machines, as well as working on the side doing contract work. Eventually I left there and started my own company.

The long and the short of it is, I learned 10x what I could learn in school by working hard on the job. At just 27 years old, I have my own CNC equipment, full package of Mastercam, and a large 6+1 axis robot on the way, and Robotmaster in the works.

For me, I do not feel it is worth it to go back to school (as much as I love learning), it makes more sense to hire an engineer when necessary. It cost me around 20,000 for my education, I couldnt imagine having to have spent 2-3 times that amount to make my start. Over time, it begins to make much less sense to return to school for several years.

I am leaning towards an MBA at this point

I am in Northeastern's Online MBA program now, John, a little over halfway through; it has been quite a bit of work and isn't cheap ($60K or thereabouts)but it is 100% online which helps a lot because I can do schoolwork on my schedule. I really feel that I have topped out career-wise without a business degree, so down that road I go.

C