Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

INCONEL

HEAVY METAL

Carbide insert drills work great on inconel, but you need some oomph to push it through. What speed/feed were you trying? Coolant thru? Also, rigidity is the name of the game. What type of machine?

I've had better luck drilling inconel with cobalt drills than carbide, just for the cost issue. Cobalt drill will only last a couple holes, but then you sharpen it. With a carbide drill, maybe you get a dozen holes, and then it takes six weeks to get it sharpened and re-coated.

25 sfm sounds WAY too fast for HSS. I would start out around 12

BTW, what alloy and temper?

And, don't spot drill, and don't peck.

Titex & OSG make some good solid carbide for Inconel. Titex 3885TFL (18mm) 500rpm & .0055 per rev.(thats from a similar job - 110 sfm) also OSG(list 5500) would also work. Titex is better. personally I choose Sandvik Coro drill 880, 2044 or 4044 inserts. All depends on how many holes you need to drill. For a production run (30-40 holes or more) definately go with Sandvik, the feeds & speed are in the book but start with 160 sfm & .0035 feed. Push it from there with RPM not so much with the feed (.005 max). Kind of opposite of what you would do with solid carbide.

Lots of through the tool coolant.

Good luck.

• 5 months later...

Hi guys...

Been off a while.

Any drill and (feeds and speeds)recommendations for Inco X750.

I have 300 pieces with 12 holes per piece and 3 at angles.

Diameters are

.0595 for the 12

and .028 on the 3.

Depths are about .34 on the 12

and .15 on the angles.

I limped through for the first article.

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

I'd rather stick lit cigarettes in my eyes than drill holes that small in Inco. I'm always down for a challenge but EDM hole pop 'em and you'll save at least a couple handfulls of hair.

I agree burn them if you can. I just did a run of 150 parts that had 4 .030 holes on angles in inco718, and edm was not permitted. I used titex and mithsibishi carbide coolant through drills. the titex worked better, about 50 sfm and .0002-.0004 fpr. make a flat surface for the angled holes to enter on and make sure your drill has no runout, if the holes break out on and angle, drill as deep as you can with the carbide and use a cobalt drill to break through. Good luck.