Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Unattended machining

I am wondering if anyone on here has experience with running aluminum parts on a MTM.

The area I'm interested in is how to make sure, on finishing cuts on id bores, you don't have any chip issues such as bird nests wrapping around the bar and causing problems. High pressure coolant? Special inserts.

It's all about chip evacuation.

Thanks.

On some parts when I back out of the bore with the rough boring bar I'll G04 in front of the part with the coolant flushing the hole out. If you're wrapping too many chips around the boring bar, you could make a ring to set screw to the tool plumbed with coolant from an adjacent empty station; index to the dummy station with the coolant on and flush the chips off. Air blast is useful for this also.

C

we use high pressure coolant thru the tool when possible. for insrts we try and use ones with a high posi rake, this will help pull the chips

out of the bore. if the pressure is good it tends to break up the chips.

HTH Ken

Ken,

What would you consider hi pressure? 200, 300 or like 1000psi?

On some parts when I back out of the bore with the rough boring bar I'll G04 in front of the part with the coolant flushing the hole out. If you're wrapping too many chips around the boring bar, you could make a ring to set screw to the tool plumbed with coolant from an adjacent empty station; index to the dummy station with the coolant on and flush the chips off. Air blast is useful for this also.

C

Thanks Chris. We usually can deal with the roughing tools ok it's on long, fine feed finishing passes that the this chips will wrap around the bar. Often the problem is not chips in the part but on the bar or turning tool itself.

Adjusting your feed and speed could also prevent the chips from being stringy and wrapping aroung the bar.

We've tried many combinations of speed and feed to no avail. These parts get polished and buffed to a mirror finish so we are limited in our finish feed rate.

High pressure coolant to break the chip. Speed/feed adjustment & insert style also help. And a air blast at the base of the boring bar to keep chips from nesting. Had a few jobs where I just started at the bottom of the bore & bored out to the end leaving the chips in the part. It also prevented the nest from scratching the ID finish.

Ken,

What would you consider hi pressure? 200, 300 or like 1000psi?

it all depends on the size of the nozzel, really small and 200/300 might be ok, but not much beats 1000 psi.

we use cooljet pumps that put out around a 1000 psi thru a 3/16 dia. "QPM" is a company that has a wide

selection of coolant lines, nozzels etc.

Ken

might need to slightly increase the depth of cut, also I agree with insert suggestions --> very sharp and high positive geometry and chip breaker. 1000psi coolant and mist collectors, and also you will want to monitor tool life during the day, then set the machine to use backup tools (ie change tools after so much tool life, or parts cut, Mazaks have the capability built in, other machines I cant really comment, but Macros and easily accomplish this) The last suggestion will require some time to fine tune. Also, if your machine has Overload detection, use it. its helpful if a drill welds into the part from built up edges.

Make sure your leaving at least the radius of the finishing insert as stock!

That is certainly what you want to do, in theory, but I have experienced VERY limited success actually doing it, particularly in thin parts. Is this something you have experience with, or just a "rule of thumb?"

C

The original question.

The area I'm interested in is how to make sure, on finishing cuts on id bores, you don't have any chip issues such as bird nests wrapping around the bar and causing problems.

So if he is getting a birds nest now yes it can definatly work, it helps break the chip.

Not answering the question, David. Feeding at .5X the nose radius will also break the chip, but you can't hold size or generate the required finish if you're doing something fussy, which is all we do. Rob and I have been doing this for quite awhile and cannot make this "DOC more than the nose radius" thing actually work; if you have succeeded with this I am interested in: material, insert, feedrate, sfm, etc, because I would LOVE to break chips on finishing passes.

C