Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

X6 Dynamic Rest Milling Depth Cut Priority

huskermcdoogle

Got an interesting situation. Will make a huge difference with cycle time.

Say you have a large pocket with small corner radii. So you use a dynamic mill pass to hack it out with a large tool. You go back in later using the Dynamic Rest Milling Function, and since this pocket is buried deep in a casting (4 inches with .2 radii) you use an LBS 3/8 to go dig it out using small depths of cut at full width and fast feeds.

I thought this would work great....

What I didn't realize is that dynamic rest milling is prioritized by depth with no way to toggle it like the old contour toolpath. This just plain sucks... Lots of Z then XY then Z rapid movement avoiding walls in my pocket.... I would very much like to avoid doing that. Kills cycle time something fierce.

So now I guess I am going to have to go in there and do it with contour passes and a slightly lighter depth of cut so I can prioritize by contour instead of depth. Luckily this particular job is well suited for this. If it required multiple side passes then I would be screwed...

Figure this might be a good enhancement eh? Rest mill by depth or by cleanup region.

Husker

Try using the createboundary chook to create theoretical rest area from your roughing tool. Add a little extra xy offset. Then copy and paste your opti-rest tool path as many times as you have created boundaries and select one for the containment boundary in each opri-rest toolpath. Then it will do each section complete before going to the next.

This is what i got some time ago from CNC when asking the same question.

I like your idea Doug

Here is the developer’s comments:

“No there is no easy way to enhance the 2D HST rest milling code (standard or dynamic) to machine the regions in a fully optimized manner.

2D HST Depth cuts is a stack of 2D cuts. You can optimize the cutting (or not) within a single 2D depth cut but not (vertically) among several depth cuts.

To do this, one must use 3D HST.”

That is a feature, not a bug lol.

I had the same problem. I had a part that was 110 inches long with lots of pockets. It was hopping around more than the Easter bunny.

All laughs aside. This is a common high speed move when digging out corners, finish one chain to depth, then move on. t's as usefull as a football bat on large parts as it is.

This is in x6.