Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Fabrication Software???

Rob B

I was wondering if there was software available that could be used for sheet metal fab work. We are having problems with allowing for breaks and folds in sheet metal. We bought a plasma 6 months ago. It is the biggest piece of sh*t as for the software that came with it. We use MC to draw the parts then there software to generate the code for the machine. We would like software that we could draw a 3d image of the part then unfold it. When it was unfolded we could burn straight from that drawing. I don't think MC will do what I am needing. Any and all input welcome.

We are using X2 presently.

YoDoug is on the right path, you need a parametric solid modelling (CAD) program. Solidworks and Inventor are the most popular, all of the higher end drawing programs have it as well, though you won't want to pay for them, like Pro-E. I think there's a few cheaper ones that may have it, like Alibre. I've even heard rumors of an unfolding add on for Google's Sketchup (a free basic 3d modelling program).

I've used SolidWorks with sheet metal modul in the past. It works pretty good. You can draw out a flat part and add bends at most angles, K factors for bend allowance. Hems, Notches and move your geometry dynamiclly if you need to adjust your bends or flanges, which I think is pretty cool.

In some cases you can even convert a SolidWorks solid model to sheet metal part. I haven't had much succes with that one. Probably user error, IMO :wallbash: .

For design Pro/E, Solidworks, NX... And SpaceClaim... SpaceClaim uses direct modeling technology and I think it's the best cost/benefit on the design end from the options above... Trumph selected them as their sheetmetal design software... The product is definetly capable and competitively priced... Great tools and UI...

Pro/E can program punching machines... but it sucks on this area IMHO... NX, I don't know if they offer a CAM for punching machines... Probably yes... I would give a try to Sigmanest for programming these... Their nesting is excellent...

JM2C

One more thing:

Sigmanest can program Plasma machines too (Hope it is not the SW that came with the machine) :-X

The best SW I've seen to unfold 3D models, specially those with undevelopable surfaces is TopSolid. They have a module called "Progress" that makes sheetmetals guys to smile all day long... :-) Things I've considered undevelopable were solved by their solver...

TopSolid is a full Parasolid based parametric modeler with basic direct editing tools... It's in fact a high end CAx tool very strong in design, sheetmetal and machining... But IMHO, SpaceClaim is the best for sheetmetal design among all them.... TopSolid wins in regards the "Progress" capabilities though...

JM2C again...

Hello Rob,

I have some instructions put together for a customer of mine that wanted to do the same thing in Mastercam I can send them to you if you would like?

Ive had to do the same in the past and had a friend do it up in Catia.

Could u email me also ??

hardmill(at)gmail(dot)com

PEACE :D

For bent parts, solidworks will do almost everything you need. It will not "unemboss", or "unstamp" complex contoured geometry, although there are several add ins that will do just that. One thing to remember is that just as important as the software is it's setup and config. Different bending tools will have different results making the same or similar bends. Different materials will also effect things. No matter what anyone tells you there is always adjustments needed to what the software spits out.

As for converting a solid to sheetmetal in SW, I do it all the time. Funky embosses or whatnot will break it, but with some creativity you can get around it. Delete the problem faces back to a simple surface, then thicken back to get a sheet with thickness. Then apply the conversion to sheet metal. Be careful when doing this that the thickened sheet matches the geometry you want, you can get into trouble with curved bent edges.