Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Impeller machining

Mic

Hi

Does some of you have any experience with the new blade expert for impeller machining?

How does this perform compared to NREC and hyperMILL?

Havent tried it out yet.

Its on my to-do list for sure.

Ive used hypermill and know first hand how powerful it is.

PEACE :D

Not certain how it compares to the programs directly, I have experimented with the blade expert on an impeller project I use in my multiaxis training. It is like having FBM for impellers, you tell the toolpath what you want machined and it does the rest.

I would recommend getting a demo of the utility. B)

• 3 weeks later...

There's no doubt that NREC is a leader in this field, with hypermill being a comparable option at a better price point and more versatility as it is a full CAD/CAM system.

Setting up the impeller as a feature is not that big of a deal. Hypermill and NREC have been doing it for years, and it's pretty well known that Moduleworks tries to copy what hypermill does.

What I would look for is automatic collision detection and avoidance (no tilt curve), individual leading and trailing edge control, partial roughing, step-over control (Zig-Zag, one way and fish bone), opening cut options, etc...

Both NREC and hypermill as well as Clever engineering will have a wide breadth of cycles, such as flank milling, point milling, roughing, edge milling, fillet milling and hub finishing.

Hope this helps.

• 3 months later...

Hi

Does some of you have any experience with the new blade expert for impeller machining?

How does this perform compared to NREC and hyperMILL?

Yes, we have tested it out. It does some pretty neat stuff, but the Impeller we were doing it couldn't handle it. It was still violating check surfaces and weird stuff like that. We asked if we could get a demo of it, and we tried it out for a month or so, but never got it working well.

I would say, if you are doing simple impellers it will work nicely. But anything complex, forget it.

Hypermill is very good. Give them a call to and compare.

There's no doubt that NREC is a leader in this field, with hypermill being a comparable option at a better price point and more versatility as it is a full CAD/CAM system.

Setting up the impeller as a feature is not that big of a deal. Hypermill and NREC have been doing it for years, and it's pretty well known th,at Moduleworks tries to copy what hypermill does.

What I would look for is automatic collision detection and avoidance (no tilt curve), individual leading and trailing edge control, partial roughing, step-over control (Zig-Zag, one way and fish bone), opening cut options, etc...

Both NREC and hypermill as well as Clever engineering will have a wide breadth of cycles, such as flank milling, point milling, roughing, edge milling, fillet milling and hub finishing.

Hope this helps.

Clever not CleAver :rolleyes:

Any other impeller cutting software which could be worth looking at?

I use HyperMill everday and program nothing but impellers. It is top notch for this type of work. I program both hub style and cover style impellers with it, full 5 axis machining and 3+2 machining. It is expensive but worth every penny IMO.

HyperMill is very stable also. I have had one software crash in the last year of running the software where I was not able to save and lost work.