Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Drafting in Lathe VTL

K2csq7

I think I may have asked this before, but I'll try again.

Notes come out horizontally (see "stock after op 70" in attached pic)

Anyone know how to get the dimension text to be that way instead of vertical?

Also, I do all my programs in the T/C plane "lathe diameter, -D +Z.

If I stay in that plane and make a dimension, the text is mirrored.... so I have to switch to the "Top" T/C plane.

Couple things that have been bothering me for a while.... Thanks for your time!

I usually draw the geom in Mcam top view, in the lower quadrant as if programming for a lower turret. When you load a Mcam VTL machine def into the part file it will automagicly rotate the geom for the VTL or,....if you're using an InHouse VTL just draw the geom in the lower quad.

Don't forget the tools will need to be defined for the VTL, there is a limited VTL library in the lathe tools folder.

Hi Bob,

Your method doesn't work.... after I select the second line the box comes up, I hit ok, and it still draws them vertically.

NO DOLLAR FOR YOU!!! innocent.gif

I figured it out.... all on my own. Don't ask me how detective.gif

Here is the best explanation I can come up with after hours and hours of research, trial & error failure, sweat, hunger, sleep deprivation, skiing, beer, and video games.

You have to create a new construction plane by selecting a horizontal line on the screen, then a vertical line. You are basically creating a new construction plane that is the top view rotated 90 CW to undo the 90 deg CCW screen rotation used for programming a VTL.

Ahhh, hurts me brain to think that hard....on2long.gif just to draw a dimension.

You have to create a new construction plane by selecting a horizontal line on the screen, then a vertical line. You are basically creating a new construction plane that is the top view rotated 90 CW to undo the 90 deg CCW screen rotation used for programming a VTL.

Wow... you got it! It's a good thing you didn't listen to Bob's answer... that really would have messed you up. :sofa: